Chelsea’s title defense was dealt another blow yesterday as the Blues lost their 4th game of the season. Everton defeated the Blues 3-1 thanks to a hat-trick from Steven Naismith. The Scotsman was brought as a substitute of Muhamed Besic after the Bosnian sustained an injury on the ninth minute.
Naismith proved Roberto Martinez why he deserves a starting role for the club, but Jose Mourinho will be even under more pressure now as the title retention look even bleaker now.
Naismith scored thrice on 17th, 22nd and 82 minutes while the only Chelsea goal was scored by Nemanja Matic on the 36th minute.
The reigning Premier League champions broke a lot of records with the most recent defeat.
Here are some statistical records which the Blues broke:
1) It is the worst start of Chelsea since 1988. With four points in five games, it is their worst start of the season not only in the Premier League era but since 1988. In 1988-89 season, they had 3 points from six games. They were then in the second division and came back to win the division with 99 points and a return to the first division.
2) Yesterday, Everton star Steven Naismith became the first player to score a hat-trick against Jose Mourinho in Premier League. And, the Scotsman scored a perfect hat-trick, one from the right foot, one from left foot and another from a header.
3) The Blues have conceded more goals in the last seven league games than the whole campaign of 2004-05 which was the Portuguese’s first season at Stamford Bridge.
4) No team in the history of the Premier League has come back from such position like Chelsea to become champions in fact none even finished in top two. So hope a title defense is statistically over.
5) This is the worst ever start by an English League champions in 128 years.
6) Chelsea PL games have taken to concede 12 goals under Mourinho:
7) Mourinho conceded 2.4 games per game this season which is the worst in his career.