Stoke City forward Jonathan Walters has handed in a transfer request, according to Sky Sports.
BREAKING NEWS: Sky Sources – Stoke City striker Jon Walters has handed in transfer request at the club #SSNHQ
— Sky Sports News HQ (@SkySportsNewsHQ) August 31, 2015
The Republic of Ireland international is yet to join the national squad ahead of their Euro 2016 qualifiers against Gibraltar and Georgia.
Walters has only one-year left on his contract and has been in negotiations with the Potters over a new deal.
Stoke City have also rejected a second bid worth around £2m from Norwich City who are keen to sign the 31-year-old.
Ireland boss O’Neill said: “Jonny is [not here] only because there may be something happening to him. He wasn’t completely sure, but there was little point in coming here for this morning and then maybe having to travel back.”
“There may be something happening, although he’s not terribly sure at this minute. But while there is the possibility of something happening to him, then I think it’s best that he sees it until the transfer deadline is finished.”
“I said to the players beforehand that I will be prepared if somebody has to go at the last minute, either on loan somewhere, that’s fine, or if it’s a proper transfer.”
“The loan system is one that I think that if people are happy enough with medicals being done elsewhere, then it’s a matter of a fax machine.”
Stoke have signed a number of attackers including Joselu, Ibrahim Afellay and Xherdan Shaqiri this summer, but Mark Hughes has so far rebuffed any advances for Walters.
Walters is an experienced player in Premier League and his versatility adds even more to his qualities.
He can play as a center forward, winger and secondary striker.
Walters played 217 games for Stoke and scored 51 goals making 20 assists.
For his nation, he is capped 52 times and netted 5 goals.