Premier League giants Arsenal FC officially completes their first signing of the January transfer window today. They roped in Egyptian midfielder Mohamed Elneny from FC Basel to further consolidate their squad.
As the new signing was unveiled today, Sportzwiki brings you ten interesting facts you need to know about Arsenal’s first January signing from FC Basel; Egyptian midfielder Mohamed Elneny.
1) He was borne in El-Mahalla El-Kubra, Egypt, located in the middle of the River Nile Delta.
2) In his childhood, Elneny used to sleep with his ball as his father advised him to do so to make a better connection with the ball.
3) Played for Egypt during the 2012 London Olympics before losing to Japan in the quarter-finals.
4) He has helped FC Basel win the Swiss league in last three seasons.
5) Guided Basel to reach the Europa League semi-finals in the 2012-13 season before the Swiss club knocked out by Premier League giants.
6) Grew up playing for an Egyptian club El Mokawloon but after impressing in a loan outing, Basel signed him in 2013.
7) Positionally a central midfielder but has the ability to find the back of the net, he has scored 6 goals this season for Basel.
8) The Egyptian’s game is more like winning the ball back and then pressing it forward in a box-to-box kind of role just like Aaron Ramsey in the current Arsenal setup.
9) He used to wear No.33 at FC Basel but considering that number is being occupied already by goalkeeper Petr Cech, Elneny will not wear that at Emirates.
10) Elneny was the hero at Anfield in Basel’s final group fixture of last season’s Champions League when Basel got the much-needed draw to qualify for the last 16 at Liverpool’s expense.