Chelsea legend and star defender John Terry has revealed that he would not mind if he is benched this season by Jose Mourinho. The 34-year-old veteran who will turn 35 this December had a fantstic last season and was one of the best defenders in the Premier League. 

John Terry still remains Chelsea’s number 1 and is way better than the current batch of defenders. But the English center back feels that Mourinho might give chances to the younger defenders and bench him, but he would not mind. He further said that he still works extremely hard to stay fit and wants to continue at the highest stage until his body gives up.

The media quoted Terry: “Every summer I work more or less every day to give myself the best chance. If it comes to that point where I am left out of the side, I know it’s not through any fault of not trying. To look at myself in the mirror and my family, that is all I do in my career.

“I could handle being out of the team. No doubt, people like me and Steven want to play, of course. That is our natural instinct. When you play your whole career, it’s hard [not to do so]. Petr Cech was a model professional last year and that is why he got the move he wanted, because of how well he reacted around the place.

“I have seen other players go the other way. I certainly would go down the Petr route and continue giving everything to the squad. If I then felt Chelsea were going to release me or thought I had nothing else to give, but I thought I could, then of course I would still want to continue to play but that would not be in the Premier League.

“I am not taking anything for granted. The manager has said that, if I can keep my form, I am in the side but, if I don’t keep my form, he will have no qualms about taking me out and putting someone else in.

“We have an honest relationship. I don’t doubt that he trusts me. I hopefully can repay that because he has been superb to me. I will give him everything and he has been a father figure in my career so I owe him an awful lot. I realise one day that my career will come to an end so I want to give everything these next few years.”

Chelsea are reportedly interested in signing promising young English defeder John Stones from Everton this season. Accordingly they had placed £20 million for the defender but Everton had rejected it. Now recent reports suggest that the defending champions are ready to place a second bid of £26 million. This clearly indicates that Stones is one of the club’s primary targets and Jose Mourinho is looking forward to sign him as a long term replacement.

Now with Terry’s statement it is kind of imminent that Chelsea will go all out to rope in Stones this summer.

  • SHARE

    Related Posts

    IND vs NZ 2017, 1st ODI: 200-run Partnership Was a Special, Special Partnership –...

    Virat Kohli’s 31st ODI century went in vain, as Tom Latham scored his fourth ODI century to guide his team to a comprehensive six-wicket...

    Shuttler Srikanth Wins Denmark Open Title

    Odense (Denmark), Oct 22 (IANS) Indian shuttler Kidambi Srikanth crushed South Korean Lee Hyun II 21-10, 21-5 to win the men's singles title of the...

    Brazil Beat Germany 2-1 To Reach U-17 World Cup Semis

    Kolkata, Oct 22 (IANS) Paulinho's stunning second-half strike helped three-time champions Brazil script a memorable come-from-behind 2-1 victory over European heavyweights Germany in the FIFA...

    IND Vs NZ 2017: Ross and Tom Were Outstanding, They deserved to Win Today...

    New Zealand defeated India by six wickets in the first ODI at the Wankhede Stadium in Mumbai, courtesy a brilliant 200-run partnership between Ross Taylor...

    IND vs NZ 2017, 1st ODI: Nice to See It Through in Tough Conditions...

    Before the start of the series, the focus was firmly on Tom Latham. With Corey Anderson nursing an injury, New Zealand needed a reliable...