Everton defender and England international Phil Jagielka has been named as the fastest player in the Premier League for the 2014/15 season by EA Sports.
EA Sports work officially with the Premier League and record every minute of every single game tracking each player for every second spent on the pitch. They also track every player for every second they are on the pitch and so they can reveal who is the most fastest.
They’ve revealed who the 10 fastest players are in the league and Phil Jagielka is the fastest of them.
England international Phil Jagielka has recorded the fastest sprint by any player in the game against Leicester on the opening day of English Premier League this season. The EA Sports tracking data shows Jagielka recorded the speed of 35.99kmh against Leicester in August.
Amazingly, four defenders make this list of the fastest players. There are four defenders in top 10 with Leicester’s Ritchie De Laet second-fastest and with Aston Villa’s Alan Hutton and West Ham’s Joey O’Brien also featuring in the list. Swansea’s Nathan Dyer is the only winger in the top 10.
It is quite surprising that speedsters like Raheem Sterling, Eden Hazard, Aaron Lennon, Theo Walcott and others are nowhere to be seen in a list dominated by centre-halves.
The players can run faster without the ball than with it so perhaps this explains why the defensive players dominate this list.
LIST OF TOP 10 FASTEST PLAYERS IN PREMIER LEAGUE :
1. Phil Jagielka (Everton) – 35.99 km/h
2. Ritchie de Laet (Leicester City) – 35.94 km/h
3. Joe Ledley (Crystal Palace) – 35.91 km/h
4. Steven Nzonzi (Stoke City) – 35.82 km/h
5. Connor Wickham (Sunderland) – 35.80 km/h
6. Mohamed Diame (Hull City) – 35.68 km/h
7. Alan Hutton (Aston Villa) – 35.54 km/h
8. Nathan Dyer (Swansea) – 35.53 km/h
9. Craig Gardner (West Brom) – 35.49 km/h
10. Joey O’Brien (West Ham) – 35.46 km/h