Wrestler Sakshi Malik has become the toast of the entire nation after ending India’s painful wait for its medal at the on-going Rio Olympics. With stalwarts like Sania Mirza, Saina Nehwal and Abhinav Bindra bowing out of the games without winning a medal, Indian fans had all but lost their hopes of seeing a medal only to see Malik bagging her first Olympic medal in sensational fashion. After losing the Quarterfinal to eventual finalist Koblova Zholobowa, Sakshi went on to win the Repechage against Mongolia’s Orkhon Purevdorj, and then Kyrgyzstan’s Aisuluu Tynybekova.
Now the 23-year old is all set to become richer by at least 2.5 crores after her incredible feat. Here is how:
1. Haryana government has promised a whopping bumper bonus for the medallists – Rs 6 crore for winning gold, Rs 4 crore for winning silver and Rs 2 crore for bagging bronze. The government has also promised to gift land in the state. So Malik will get Rs 2 crore from her state government.
2. Indian Railways has vowed to present a cash award of Rs 1 crore for gold medallist, Rs 75 lakh and Rs 50 lakh for silver and bronze medallist respectively. Malik is employed with Railways and is set get Rs 50 lakh from them.
3. Salman Khan, who is the goodwill ambassador of the Indian contingent at this year’s Olympics in Rio, has announced that he will be presenting the Indian Olympic athletes with cheques of Rs 1,01,000
4. In a first of its kind, the Indian Olympic Association has decided to gift Rs 50 lakh for a gold medal, Rs 30 lakh for silver and Rs 20 lakh for bronze. In addition, the coaches will be awarded an equivalent of 50 per cent of the amount that the athletes receive.
5. In addition, JSW is all set to give the bronze medallist Rs 15 lakhs.