Madrid, May 15 (IANS) German tennis player Angelique Kerber climbed to lead the Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) singles rankings, released on Monday, with 7,035 points, dislodging United States icon Serena Williams.
Serena, who came in second with 6,110 points, will not play again in 2017 because of her pregnancy, reports Efe.
Romanian Simona Halep jumped to the fourth place, after winning her second Madrid Open title on Saturday.
The current WTA rankings and points are as follows:
1. Angelique Kerber (Germany) 7,035 points
2. Serena Williams (United States) 6,110
3. Karolina Pliskova (Czech Republic) 6,010
4. Simona Halep (Romania) 5,205
5. Dominika Cibulkova (Slovakia) 4,480
6. Johanna Konta (Britain) 4,330
7. Garbiñe Muguruza (Spain) 4,287
8. Svetlana Kuznetsova (Russia) 4,260
9. Agnieszka Radwanska (Poland) 4,195
10. Caroline Wozniacki (Denmark) 3,915.