Gabriella Taylor

London, Aug 11 (IANS) Police are investigating claims that a teenage British tennis player was poisoned at Wimbledon this year.

Gabriella Taylor, 18, spent four days in intensive care after becoming unwell during her girls’ quarter-final match.

Scotland Yard said it has received a complaint of poisoning with intent to endanger life or cause grievous bodily harm.

Taylor’s mother has confirmed that the matter was being dealt with by police, BBC reported on Thursday.

Milena Taylor told the Daily Telegraph on Wednesday that her daughter had been “close to death”.

She said that doctors diagnosed a rare strain of leptospirosis – also known as Weil’s disease – a bacteria which can be transmitted through rat urine.

The teenager, from Southampton, had been staying “in a completely healthy environment” and it was “impossible” for her to have simply become ill, her mother told said.

Asked who she suspects, Taylor added, “That is not for me to say. I just want the police to investigate it fully and it will be up to them how to proceed.”

The junior player last week spoke to BBC about the mystery illness she contracted during the tournament. “It was such an awful experience, probably the worst time of my life.”

Gabriella, ranked 381 in the world, did not pick up a racquet for a month since being forced to stop play against Kayla Day of the US on July 7. She returned to training this week.

“It started the day before as a stomach bug and I managed to overcome it by winning my match that day,” Gabriella added.

“But the day of the quarter-final, I woke up and felt 10 times worse. I couldn’t believe it was happening to me in one of the most important tournaments of my life.”

A police statement said the allegation was received by officers on August 5, concerning a possible offence at an address in Wimbledon between July 1 and 10.

“It is unknown where or when the poison was ingested,” a spokesman added.

A Wimbledon spokesman said they had not been approached about the investigation by the police.

“There is no record of Miss Taylor using her catering pass to eat on site at the Championships in 2016,” an official said.

  • SHARE
    The IANS was founded by Indian American publisher Gopal Raju as the India Abroad News Service. It was later renamed the Indo-Asian News Service.

    Related Posts

    Watch: MS Dhoni Takes Fans Back To The Famous Night At Wankhede

    Wankhede and Mahendra Singh Dhoni's trademark helicopter shot is one of the best combos in Indian cricket history. It was the very shot and...
    Jonny Bairstow, Ashes 2017-18, Batting Order, Number Six, Australia Vs England, Ben Stokes, Bristol Fight,

    Ashes 2017-18: In Ben Stokes’ Absence Jonny Bairstow Ready to Bat at Number Six...

    England middle-order batsman Jonny Bairstow is ready to bat up the order for the visiting side if under investigation would not be available for...

    Arjun Tendulkar Bowls to Kohli in the Nets Ahead of the Opening ODI in...

    Arjun Tendulkar who is better known as the son of iconic cricketer Sachin Tendulkar at least as of now was seen bowling to the...
    Mithun Manhas | IPL |

    Mithun Manhas Joins Bangladesh U19 As Batting Consultant

    Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) has roped in the Indian domestic stalwart Mithun Manhas as their batting consultant for the U-19 team. Manhas has already...

    Rohit Sharma Delighted to Start ODI Series at His Home Venue

    Team India after crashing Australia by a 4-1 margin in the ODI series is now gearing up for yet another dominating performance, this time...