Yuki Bhambri

Chennai, Dec 29 (IANS) To avoid the rigours of Aircel Chennai Open qualification, Indias injury-prone tennis player Yuki Bhambri on Thursday vowed to break back into the top-100 in 2017.

The 2009 junior Australian Open champion, who pulled out from last year’s Aircel Chennai Open with an elbow injury and “made the mistake” of playing in the Australian Open without being fully fit, went though his first practice session here at the SDAT Stadium.

“It’s really tough not to be in the top-100. But I am highly motivated and I want to be back there,” he said.

“I trained in Thailand for a few weeks to acclimatise myself for Chennai and Australia. I even played in some sort of a warm-up tournament in Hong Kong to get some match practice. So I am looking forward to this.”

With two wild cards going to Saket Myneni and Ramkumar Ramanathan, Yuki had no choice but to find a route into the Chennai Open through the qualifiers.

“Saket and Ram have been playing well,” he quipped when asked about not being the first choice for the Davis Cup team earlier this year.

“They have a better ranking than me so it’s all fine,” he said.

“I have been working and practising for the last 30-35 days. I went through a knew surgery and I am playing pretty well again,” he added.

The Chennai Open starts on January 2.

  • SHARE

    The IANS was founded by Indian American publisher Gopal Raju as the India Abroad News Service. It was later renamed the Indo-Asian News Service.

    Related Posts

    Rohit records third double-ton in ODIs

    Mohali, Dec 13: India skipper Rohit Sharma (208 not out), who piloted India to a mammoth 392 against Sri Lanka on Wednesday, became the first...

    British cyclist Chris Froome to cooperate with UCI after abnormal drug test

    Madrid, Dec 13: Britain's four-time Tour de France champion Chris Froome on Wednesday said he would provide any information required by the International Cycling Union,...

    WWE Smackdown Live full results: December 12th, 2017

    Last night marked the go-home edition of Smackdown Live for the Clash of Champions PPV, on this Sunday. Shinsuke Nakamura was back in action...

    WWE: What Happened Once Smackdown Went Off The Air: December 12, 2017

    Yesterday marked the last night before Smackdown Live comes up with the annual PPV event, Clash of Champions on this Sunday. It is going...

    WWE News: New Number One Contender’s Match Announced for Next Week’s Raw

    As reported earlier, Rich Swann got suspended from WWE for an indefinite span of time. He was involved in an altercation with his wife...