Anil Kumble Unlikely To Get Automatic Extension As BCCI Invites Applications For The Position Of Head Coach
The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has put up an open advertisement seeking applications for the position of the ‘Head Coach’ for the Senior India Men’s Cricket Team.
The interested candidates are expected to send their application on or before the 31st of May 2017 if they wish to be considered.
Current coach Anil Kumble’s one year term expires after the Champions Trophy next month. The latest invite for application indirectly points out that the BCCI is not considering an automatic contract extension for Kumble.
Kumble will end his tenure with a wonderful track record. In 17 Tests he served as the head coach, India won a 12 while losing just and levelling four games. India is currently the No. 1 ranked Test side.
A year ago Kumble beat fan favourite Ravi Shastri to take up the job for one year period. BCCI’s three Cricket Advisory Committee comprising Sachin Tendulkar, Sourav Ganguly and VVS Laxman oversaw the selection process and zeroed in on Kumble after interviews with both the contenders.
It was a controversial process to some extent as Shastri, who served as the Team Director till the 2016 World T20 after the return of Duncan Fletcher, was left unhappy with the process, especially circling Sourav Ganguly’s involvement and methods.
Shastri seemed like a preferred choice among the Indian cricketers. Indian skipper Virat Kohli even backed his name. However, that was before Kumble came into the race and grabbed the job.
It will be interesting to see the candidates who show interest. As far as the recent rumours are concerned, many believe India A and Under-19 coach Rahul Dravid happen to be the favourite. However, the former Indian skipper hasn’t expressed the desire personally on record.
Another name could probably be of Ravi Shastri who showed great keenness to take up the responsibility of guiding Virat Kohli & Co. Although, his personal thoughts regarding the fresh invitations still remains to be seen.
Joint Secretary Amitabh Chaudhary, on behalf of the BCCI, has laid down some mandatory eligibility requirements:
- Should have successfully coached a cricket team of any of the member countries of the ICC, at the first class or at the International level.2. It is preferred that the candidate should be qualified through a certification/assessment program conducted by any of the full member countries and currently possess such a valid certification.3. Should be able to prepare and present a coaching plan elaborating the approach for ‘Team India’ to attain leadership position in all formats of the game.
4. Demonstrate methods/tools to effectively measure individual player performance and present metrics to the Board, which will in turn measure the performance of the team, on a consistent and timely basis.
5. Demonstrate an understanding and ability of employing a multi disciplinary approach that will include sports psychology and sports medicine, and effectively manage the work load of the players, thereby enhancing their contribution to the cause of the team
6. Communication skills befitting the coach of an International team are mandatory along with the ability to effectively convey the right messages and must demonstrate proficiency in English. It is desirable to communicate in Hindi and other regional Indian languages.
7. Should be well versed with the latest technologies/trends in sports software and ability to utilise the same, which will assist in analysing/ improving the performance of the player and the team.
8. Mandatory that the candidate should have an impeccable personal record, devoid of any past or current disputes, with any of the member boards of the ICC or its affiliates.
9. Demonstrate plans and ability to contribute to the NCA Cricket Development Programmes and forecasting/planning to develop the next generation of cricketers and agree to make themselves available for the NCA, as and when they are not with the team.
IPL 2020: Three Players Who Can Replace Shikhar Dhawan in Delhi Capitals if he is Unfit
The Indian opening batsman, Shikhar Dhawan has been going through some hard luck. After missing out the Windies series, Dhawan had been trying to seal his place in the national side. He had played some good knocks against Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, and Australia series before…
KL Rahul Gives Away Man of the Match Cash Award to Chennai’s Animal Dispensary
India’s top-order batsman KL Rahul, who has received praise for his stunt in Team India, also is being applauded for his action towards animals. He donated cash award which he earned after winning the Man of the Match award in the second ODI match against…