CPL 2020 starts with the match between Trinbago Knight Riders and Guyana Amazon Warriors at the Brian Lara Cricket Academy (Tarouba) on Tuesday (18th August). In that match, Trinbago Knight Riders won the match by four wickets with two balls to spare.
Due to the wet outfield, the toss was delayed and the match was reduced to 17-overs per side. After Trinbago Knight Riders decided to field first, Guyana Amazon Warriors scored 144/5 in 17 overs. In reply, Trinbago Knight Riders chased down the target in 16.4 overs after losing six wickets.
Brief Scores (17-overs per side): Guyana Amazon Warriors – 144/5 in 17 overs (Shimron Hetmyer 63*, Ross Taylor 33; Sunil Narine 2/19)
Trinbago Knight Riders – 147/6 in 16.4 overs (Sunil Narine 50, Darren Bravo 30; Naveen-ul-Haq 2/21)
The result – Trinbago Knight Riders won by four wickets
CPL 2020, Match 1: Trinbago Knight Riders vs Guyana Amazon Warriors – Statistical Highlights
Guyana Amazon Warriors
i) The left-handed batsman Shimron Hetmyer scored 63 not out off 44 balls.
- It was the second-highest individual score by a left-handed Guyana Amazon Warriors batsman against Trinbago Knight Riders. The record is 66 runs by Chandrapaul Hemraj at Port of Spain on 30th September 2019.
i) South African leg-spinner Imran Tahir has taken 34 CPL wickets.
- Surpassing his national teammate Tabraiz Shamsi (33 wickets), Imran Tahir is the second most wicket-taker among the overseas players in CPL history. Pakistan left-arm pacer Sohail Tanvir is leading this list with 65 wickets (Tanvir’s stats updated till 18th August 2020).
Trinbago Knight Riders
i) It was the 71st CPL match for Kieron Pollard as a captain.
- Pollard becomes the most-capped captain in CPL history. Chris Gayle is in the next position in this list who appeared in 70 CPL matches as a captain.
i) Caribbean cricketer Dwayne Bravo has taken 37 catches in CPL career.
- It is the joint second-most catches by a player in CPL history. Andre Russell has also taken 37 catches in CPL career. Kieron Pollard is the record holder in this list as he has taken 53 CPL catches.
i) During this match, Sunil Narine had the bowling figures of 4-0-19-2, grabbed one catch and also scored 50 runs as an opener.
- Narine is the fourth cricketer to score a fifty, claim at least two wickets and also take at least one catch in a CPL match. Earlier, Kieron Pollard (61*, 3/15 & 3 catches for Barbados Tridents against St Lucia Stars at Bridgetown on 30th July 2013), Shane Watson (55, 3/36 & 1 catch for St Lucia Stars against St Kitts and Nevis Patriots at Basseterre on 3rd July 2016) and JP Duminy (65, 2/24 & 2 catches for Barbados Tridents against Trinbago Knight Riders at Bridgetown on 26th September 2019) achieved this all-rounder feat once each.
- Narine is the fourth opener to score a fifty and take at least two wickets in a CPL match. Earlier, Jamaica Tallawahs star Chris Gayle (51 runs & 2/24 against Trinbago Knight Riders at Kingston on 18th August 2013), and St Lucia Stars’ openers Shane Watson (55 runs & 3/36 against St Kitts and Nevis Patriots at Basseterre on 3rd July 2016) and Rahkeem Cornwall (78* runs & 2/30 against Barbados Tridents at Bridgetown on 31st August 2017) achieved this feat once each.