Barclays Premier League 2013-14: 5 strikers to watch out for
The Premier League kicks off in less than a month’s time and clubs are gearing up for the task ahead with activities off the pitch and somewhat on it too. Every year the Premier League showcases the highest quality of football and don’t expect anything but fireworks in the coming season. Outstanding players are the crowd pullers and the delight of the fans. Here we analyze the five strikers who could be worth watching in the new season. Cross check this column at the end of the season and you will most probably find the same names then. Till then sit back on your couch and enjoy.
- Rooney’s future has been the subject of much conjecture throughout the summer and it is yet to be resolved, but Chelsea have offered the biggest hint yet that they will be signing the Englishman sooner rather than later. Rooney had a very poor campaign last season although Manchester United romped home with the title and with no Alex Ferguson around, Rooney has got disillusioned with life in Manchester. Whether or not he joins Chelsea, this season will be pivotal for the forward, with England’s World Cup hopes pinned on the Liverpudlian, he can ill afford to have another bad season.
- Ricky van Wolfswinkel
- The Dutchman is the new record signing for Norwich City, signed from Sporting Lisbon well before the end of last season. The 24-year-old was destined for big things but his stop start career so far has derailed his development. Now under Chris Hughton, the new number nine will be hard pressed to fire in all cylinders right from the word go. His finishing is cultured and movement extraordinary, so do expect him to pull some trees over the course of the season. It will be worth watching whether van Wolfswinkel can emulate the other Dutch forwards who graced the Premier League, the likes of Van Nistelrooy, Bergkamp and Van Persie.
- ANDY CARROLL
- The lanky forward was signed early doors in the summer transfer window by West Ham United who parted with a record sum of money to land him. A player well suited to Sam Allardyce’s physical football, Carroll comes in with a tarnished reputation of a 35million pounds flop. He must do so much more to shake off his infamy, but Carroll and West Ham seems like a marriage made in heaven. With last season’s injury hit campaign well behind his back, a fitter and fresher Carroll dominating defenders will be worth a watch.
- WILFRIED BONY
- The Ivorian had been coveted by many European clubs before he decided to shun them all and join Michael Laudrup’s Swansea, who will be testing their wits in Europe this season. A complete striker, Bony is expected to lessen the goalscoring burden of last season’s top scorer Michu. Having top scored in the Dutch Eredivisie last season, Bony comes in with a reputation of a fearsome striker. Whether or not he can live up to his escalated billing will be worth watching.
- ROMELU LUKAKU The burly Belgian had something of a watershed season on loan at West Brom last season, notching up 17 goals and becoming the club top scorer. This year, he is back at Chelsea and will look to repay the huge fee Chelsea paid for his services. He looks ominous and has been dubbed as the new Didier Drogba, but whether he can deliver on the huge expectations is the big issue. New manager Jose Mourinho loves playing physical forwards and in Lukaku, he has the perfect forward, one to please the crowd as well as win games.
IPL 2020: Purse Remaining Of Each Team Revealed Ahead Of The Players’ Auction
At the end of the pre-auction trade window, the Indian Premier League (IPL) has announced the purse remaining amount for all the eight teams. They can buy the remaining number of players according to their slots availability in the upcoming players’ auction and they can…
IPL 2020: KXIP Reveals Their Retained And Released Squads
Ahead of the 2020 IPL players’ auction, Kings XI Punjab (KXIP) has released seven players and retained 14 players on Friday (15th November). At the end of the pre-auction trade window, KXIP has set 16 players in the squad for the next IPL season. Earlier…