Blow to Chelsea: Atletico confirm they want to re-sign Costa
Atletico Madrid president Enrique Cerezo has revealed that he would be happy to re-sign Chelsea’s controversial striker Diego Costa.
The Brazil-born Spain international shot to prominence at Atletico Madrid, which eventually earned the striker a lucrative move to Stamford Bridge, but since then there have been repeated speculations that the he is keen to return to Spain.
As reported by the Daily Mail, Cerezo in an interview with Cope told: “We have a magnificent relationship with the players who leave this club.
“He is a magnificent player but he is a Chelsea player. We will do everything possible and let’s see what Chelsea say because it does not depend on us.
“When pushed on whether the club would go all out for Costa, Cerezo said: “We always try to bring the best players and Diego is one of those.”
Costa was sent off for the first time in his Chelsea career during the FA Cup quarter-final defeat to Everton on Sunday, a loss which ultimately ended their hopes of finishing the season with any consolation silverware. Reports suggesting, the fall-out from the red card could have become ‘final straw’ for the frustrated striker.
He started this season very slowly but has managed to return to something which can be considered as his best form in recent time and has even scored eleven goals in the Premier League this term.
Although he is rather a controversial figure and has beeen plunged into several high-profile controversial incidents since joining Chelsea, the striker’s quality on- field cannot be denied.
Chelsea will certainly be reluctant to let Costa leave, especially given the lack of back-up options the Blues have in attack. Loic Remy has failed to make much of an impact when he has been called upon this season, while loan signings Radamel Falcao and Alexandre Pato have had fitness issues and still not in a position to earn their spot in the starting eleven regularly. Youngster Bertrand Traore though has displayed some encouraging performances, but may be is not ready to be regarded as Chelsea’s first-choice striker at the moment.
Many believe that Atletico Madrid boss Diego Simeone still regards the controversial striker as his central striker along with Griezmann and Carrasco operating down the flanks and often making a position switch.
Much of the future decisions likely to depend on what the next Chelsea boss- probably Antonio Conte- decides to do with Diego Costa. Although the Italian manager, if he is appointed, will obviously do his best to keep hold of the in-form striker.
Ashish Nehra Admits His Mistake For Wrong Behaviour With MS Dhoni During Ahmedabad ODI
While the former Indian left-arm pacer Ashish Nehra rarely entered the controversy during his international career, once he was caught for abusing the then young wicketkeeper MS Dhoni for missing an opportunity to dismiss the dangerous Pakistan batsman Shahid Afridi. The 40-year-old Nehra admitted that…
Virat Kohli, Rohit Sharma Urge Fans to Support PM Modi’s Initiative on April 5
The Coronavirus pandemic has created social distance among people to curb the spread of the virus. In such a situation, to show that Indians stand together to combat the deadly virus, PM Modi had urged people to switch off electric lights for nine minutes and…