Aston Villa set to host Chelsea today, Paul Lambert’s man who has failed to score in their last 10 hours of action needs to pull out a rabbit from hat to turn their miserable form.
Villa started their season very well and had a golden opportunity to move in top 4 of premier league but the loss against Arsenal proved to changed their path. Two wins in 19 games later and they’re only three points above the bottom three.
However, Villa’s record against Jose Mourinho at home is surprisingly impressive, winning two and drawing three of their five games against the Portuguese boss in the Premier League.
Chelsea, who are five points clear at the top and with their next four games against teams in the bottom half, will see Cesc Fàbregas back in the team but Diego Costa and Filipe Luis misses out through suspension and calf problem respectively. New Chelsea signing, Juan Manuel Cuadrado might make his debut for his new club.
With regards to team selection for tomorrow’s game against Paul Lambert’s side, Mourinho provided largely stated positive news.
‘Filipe Luis is injured and the player who is suspended [Diego Costa] is still suspended,’ he stated. ‘Everybody else is fit.’
For Villa, Philippe Senderos is likely to sit out again with his calf problem and Libor Kozak continues to recover from a broken leg but Joe Cole may make the squad after a hamstring injury.
- Aston Villa and Newcastle United are the only two Premier League teams Jose Mourinho has visited with a Chelsea team without having at least one victory.
- Branislav Ivanovic made his Premier League debut against Aston Villa and has scored four goals in his last five Premier League starts against the Villans.
- Chelsea have won five and lost one of the last six Premier League meetings with Aston Villa.
- Aston Villa have won just one of their last nine Premier league games at Villa Park (W1 D4 L4).
(credits – BBC Sports)
- Aston Villa ended Chelsea’s 14-match unbeaten run in the Premier League with a 1-0 victory in the corresponding fixture last season.
- Villa have failed to score in six consecutive league matches for the first time in the club’s history.
- Only Sunderland in 2005-06 (nine goals) and Derby County in 2007-08 (seven goals) have scored fewer in the Premier League than Villa (11) after 23 matches. Both Sunderland and Derby ended each of their respective seasons in last place and were relegated.
- Chelsea have taken just eight points from their last 18 away from home (W2, D2, L2).
- Jose Mourinho’s side are the highest scorers in the league with 52 goals from their 23 matches. They have also scored a league-high 27 goals away from home.
- They have kept clean sheets in five of their previous eight league games and 11 in total this season – more than any other Premier League club.
Aston Villa: Guzan, Hutton, Okore, Vlaar, Cissokho, Delph, Westwood, Cleverley, Gil, Benteke, Weimann.
Chelsea: Courtois, Ivanovic, Zouma, Terry, Azpilicueta, Matic, Fabregas, Willian, Oscar, Hazard, Drogba.
Aston Villa 0-3 Chelsea
Pic courtesy: Bbc.co.uk
Get all the news and other interesting details about the upcoming T20 tri-series (Nidahas Trophy) featuring India, Bangladesh, and Sri Lanka. Follow an download IPL 2018 schedule. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter to stay connected with all the news related to the league. Also, check live score and you can subsequently download the Sportzwiki cricket app for Android to stay updated.