Spanish striker Alvaro Morata is set to join Premier League champions Chelsea from Real Madrid in a record 80m Euro deal. This will make him the most expensive Spanish footballer of all time.
The transfer will also be eighth most expensive signing of all time as the Blues have manage to bid a record price for the exciting Spaniard.
Top Class Striker
Morata is undoubtedly one of the best strikers in Europe and had grown really well during his time with Juventus. But since moving back to Real Madrid, the 25-year old hardly got a chance to prove his worth and had seriously struggled for quality playing time.
Zidane had often used him as an impact substitute despite his impressive form coming on late in the game. Chelsea have managed to find a proper replacement for Diego Costa, who is outbound after the rift with manager Conte earlier in the summer.
Chelsea were forced to make a huge bid in the transfer market after missing out on Romelu Lukaku. The 80 million move meant Morata is now the club’s record signing and eighth pricey signing of all time.
Morata’s transfer knocked down Zidane’s 75m euro transfer to Real Madrid back in 2001, which is now dropped to ninth position. The world’s most expensive switch was made by Premier League giants Manchester United when they managed to sign Paul Pogba from Juventus last summer for a record breaking 105m euro fee.
The transfer had broken the world record fee which was being held by Real Madrid for their move for Cristiano Ronaldo in 2009. Los Blancos had bid 96m euros to sign the Portuguese forward back then.
Third most costliest transfer goes to Gareth Bale when he made a switch to Real Madrid from Tottenham Hotspur in a 91m euro deal. Perhaps, one of the most controversial signings in recent times, Gonzalo Higuain decided to swap for Juventus last summer from Napoli and the Old Lady spent a massive 90m euros.
Brazilian star Neymar’s move to Barcelona from Santos in the summer of 2013 makes the fifth most expensive signing. The deal costed Blaugrana a massive 85m euros.
Football’s most costly deals
- Paul Pogba, 2016. Juventus to Manchester United – 105m euros.
- Cristiano Ronaldo, 2009. Manchester United to Real Madrid – 96m euros.
- Gareth Bale, 2013. Tottenham to Real Madrid – 91m euros.
- Gonzalo Higuain, 2016. Napoli to Juventus – 90m euros.
- Neymar, 2013. Santos to Barcelona – 85m euros.
- Romelu Lukaku, 2017. Everton to Manchester United – 85m euros.
- Luis Suarez, 2014. Liverpool to Barcelona – 81m euros.
- Alvaro Morata, 2017. Real Madrid to Chelsea – 80m euros.
- Ángel Di Maria, 2014. Real Madrid to Manchester United 75m euros.
- Zinedine Zidane, 2001. Juventus to Real Madrid – 75m euros.