Real Madrid have denied reports that they have agreed a world-record €272 million (£239m/$316m) deal with Paris Saint-Germain to sign forward Kylian Mbappe.
Mbappe joined PSG last year on an initial loan deal from AS Monaco that will become permanent this summer.
The deal will see him become the second most expensive player in history. However, Madrid have been closely linked with the 19-year-old attacker. And, it has been claimed in France that he is on his way to the Spanish capital this summer to replace Cristiano Ronaldo, who is reportedly set to join Juventus.
The Spanish club insist that no such deal is in place, though, saying the reports are simply false. Real Madrid released an official statement regarding this rumour on Wednesday.
The statement says:
“Given the information published in the last few hours referring to an alleged agreement between Real Madrid and PSG for player Kylian Mbappe, Real Madrid says they are flatly false. Real Madrid has not made any offers to PSG or the player and regrets the dissemination of this type of information that is not contrasted with the parties.”
Madrid have been closely monitoring Mbappe since his days at Monaco . He scored 21 times in 44 games for the French club in his first season and has played a key role for the national team at the World Cup. He scored three goals in four games including a brace against Argentina in the round of 16 clash.
The statement comes just over a day after the Champions League holders made an announcement to clarify that talk of another world record deal with Neymar Jr had been struck. They released a statement for it too announcing it as fake.
Like Mbappe, the Brazilian has been continually linked to the Santiago Bernabeu outfit since arriving at the Parc des Princes team.