Vishal Kumar Verma. Image Courtesy: Zee News

The Story

Negligence has become a strong culture for the top level authorities in India. The lax approach from the so called administrators has brought us national shame number of times when athletes, who trade sweat and blood in order to achieve merit, fail to meet the international standards of competition due to poor coaching facilities, underwhelming fitness and nutritional qualities.

This lowly mindset is prevalent despite rising awareness about making India a sporting nation. The pit seems to be too murky and steep for the negligent officials to come out of it and actually contribute towards the development of the nation’s sporting structure.

This emotion among sports fans just got stronger and filled with disgust after it was revealed that a budding athlete, a national level wrestler, lost his life due to a freakish accident.

A Young Talent Lost

Vishal Kumar Verma lost his life at the Jaipal Singh Stadium on Tuesday after he was electrocuted due to a short circuit at the dilapidated stadium building which houses the office of the Jharkhand State Wrestling Association (JSWA).

The indoor stadium has been flooded with rainwater due to heavy monsoon which worsened the condition of the venue which was built in 1978.

An Upcoming Talent

Bholanath Singh, a general secretary and coach of the Jharkhand State Wrestling Association, said:

“Vishal had stood fourth in the last senior national wrestling championship. Preliminary investigation has revealed that death was due to electrocution. Vishal was using a water pump to clear out the water when the incident took place. Faulty wiring seems to be the main cause of this incident,” officer in-charge of Kotwali police station, Shyamanand Mandal, said.

Ganesh Jha, the general manager of Jharkhand Bijli Vitran Nigam (JBVNL), told TOI:

“An executive engineer visited the site and reported that there is no fault in the power connection provided by JBVNL. However, there could be a loose connection in the building’s internal electrical wiring.”


    Read More