Spanish tennis player Garbiñe Muguruza jumped to the fifth place in the Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) world rankings released on Monday after she was crowned Wimbledon champion, while Czech Karolina Pliskova took the top spot.
The 23-year-old Spaniard won 7-5, 6-0 over United States’ Venus Williams in the women’s singles final at Wimbledon in just an hour and 17 minutes on Saturday, reports Efe.
“Muguruza claimed her second Grand Slam title with a memorable Wimbledon victory over Venus Williams, making headlines across the world,” the WTA said on its website. People Want Kohli To Quit Captaincy, Says Kamal Rashid Khan
Also, second-placed Romanian Simona Halep was followed by German Angelique Kerber, who used to lead the rankings, with 5,975 points. Kerber was defeated 6-4, 4-6, 4-6 by Muguruza in Wimbledon’s round of 16.
The current WTA rankings and points are as follows:
1. Karolina Pliskova (Czech Republic) 6,855 points
2. Simona Halep (Romania) 6,670 It Becomes Easier For Virat With MS Dhoni Around, Says Ajinkya Rahane
3. Angelique Kerber (Germany) 5,975
4. Johanna Konta (United Kingdom) 5,110
5. Garbiñe Muguruza (Spain) 4,990
6. Elina Svitolina (Ukraine) 4.935
7. Caroline Wozniacki (Denmark) 4,780
8. Svetlana Kuznetsova (Russia) 4,500
9. Venus Williams (United States) 4.461
10. Agnieszka Radwanska (Poland) 3,985. I Like To Perform When There Are Challenges Ravindra Jadeja
Get all the news and other interesting details about the upcoming T20 tri-series (Nidahas Trophy) featuring India, Bangladesh, and Sri Lanka. Follow an download IPL 2018 schedule. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter to stay connected with all the news related to the league. Also, check live score and you can subsequently download the Sportzwiki cricket app for Android to stay updated.