Matt Riddle vs. Seth Rollins in a Fight Pit match has been announced to take place at the Extreme Rules 2022 premium live event on October 8. Now the stakes have been raised for this particular match as former UFC Heavyweight Champion Daniel Cormier is set to be involved in this fight.
Ariel Helwani broke the news first by reporting that Cormier will be the special guest referee for the Fight Pit match between The Original Bro and Monday Night Rollins at Extreme Rules 2022.
“Breaking: Daniel Cormier will serve as guest referee for next Saturday’s Fight Pit Match between Matt Riddle and Seth Rollins at WWE’s Extreme Rules in Philly. Oct. 8. No, seriously. It’s really happening. Oct. 8. Incredible,” Helwani tweeted on Saturday evening. Moments after this announcement, WWE made the news official with the following tweet.
— WWE (@WWE) October 2, 2022
It was also added that more details regarding this situation will be stated on this week’s episode of Monday Night Raw. As of this writing, Rollins and Riddle are all set to appear in a face-off segment on the red brand show set for October 3 before they duke it out at Extreme Rules 2022.
After losing to Rollins at Clash at the Castle on September 3rd, Riddle has pledged for a rematch for several weeks. Rollins had rejected the idea but then Riddle cost Rollins his title match against United States Champion Bobby Lashley on Raw. Rollins also returned the favor by helping Judgment Day’s Finn Balor and Damian Priest to pick up a win over Riddle and Rey Mysterio in a tag team bout.
Following this altercation, Riddle and Rollins got involved in a backstage fight and agreed to battle in a match at Extreme Rules 2022 with the Fight Pit stipulation attached to it. Riddle previously faced Timothy Thatcher on the May 27, 2020, edition of NXT in a Fight Pit match where WWE Hall of Famer Kurt Angle acted as the specials guest referee.
WWE Extreme Rules 2022 PLE Match Card
Extreme Rules 2022 Premium Live Event takes place Saturday, October 8 at the Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The match card for the event is given below,
– Extreme Rules Match For The SmackDown Women’s Championship: Liv Morgan (c) vs. Ronda Rousey
– Ladder Match For The RAW Women’s Championship: Bianca Belair (c) vs. Bayley (with DAMAGE CTRl’s Dakota Kai and IYO SKY)
– “I Quit” Match: Edge vs. Finn Balor (with Judgment Day’s Damian Priest, Rhea Ripley, and Dominik)
– Fight Pit Match: Seth Rollins vs. Matt Riddle (Former UFC heavyweight Champion Daniel Cormier to be the guest referee)
– Strap Match: Drew McIntyre vs. Karrion Kross (with Scarlett)
– Donnybrook Match: The Brawling Brutes (Sheamus, Butch, and Ridge Holland) vs. Imperium (Intercontinental Champion Gunther, Giovanni Vinci, and Ludwig Kaiser)