Put yourself in N. Srinivasan’s shoes. Don’t you feel like the most powerful man on the planet? Like the world is at your feet – well literally, as Srinivasan is regarded as the worlds most powerful cricket administrator – untouchable in the BCCI and expected to take over the ICC in the near future.
In the wake of a spot-fixing and betting scandal surrounding the much hyped Indian Premier League, Srinivasan offered to take a backseat and abide by the Supreme Court’s suggestions to step down as BCCI boss, paving the way for former Indian captain Sunil Gavaskar to assume the post till the conclusion of the IPL.
The apex court had suggested that Srinivasan must step down as the chief of the Indian cricket board to ensure a fair investigation into the betting scandal, in which his son-in-law, Gurunath Meiyappan has been indicted on match fixing charges.
As the most powerful man in Indian cricket prepares to step aside, SPORTZWIKI tells you 10 facts you ought to know about BCCI czar Srinivasan.
1. Naryanaswami Srinivasan was a member of the Prime Minister’s Council of Trade and Industry between the period of 1996 and 2001.
2. Srinivasan was also the Sheriff of Madras for two terms, from 1989 to 1991. Well traveled man we must say!
3. Srinivasan stepped into cricket administration in the year 2001 as an ally of erstwhile BCCI president A C Muttiah.
4. It wasn’t long before Srinivasan assumed the top post in the BCCI. After serving as its secretary and treasurer, Srinivasan took over as the 30th BCCI president from Shashank Manohar in 2011.
5. The veteran administrator is also the president of the Tamil Nadu Golf Federation and All India Chess Federation. Talk about power!
6. Who knew that a man of Srinivasan’s stature would be so superstitious! The 69-year old restored a Ganesh temple outside the M A Chidambaram stadium in Chennai because he was of the belief that it watched over his Tamil Nadu Cricket Association (TNCA) of which he is president.
7. Apart from being the BCCI supreme, Srinivasan is the managing director of India Cements, which owns IPL franchise Chennai Super Kings. Conflict of interest don’t you think?
8. Srinivasan’s younger brother has followed his footsteps into sports administration. N. Ramachandran is the chief of Tamil Nadu Squash Rackets Association, and is also the president of the Indian Olympic Association and World Squash Federation.
9. Srinivasan has served as the president of the Madras Chamber of Commerce and Industry for a period of two years between 1996 and 1998 and is also a member of the Executive Committee of FICCI, which is the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry.
10. The most damning criticism against the BCCI boss came when Australian tabloid Daily Telegraph described him as “cricket’s most destructive figure”.
Get all the news and other interesting details about the upcoming T20 tri-series (Nidahas Trophy) featuring India, Bangladesh, and Sri Lanka. Follow an download IPL 2018 schedule. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter to stay connected with all the news related to the league. Also, check live score and you can subsequently download the Sportzwiki cricket app for Android to stay updated.