Let’s take a look at 12 of the unknown facts about the man we chose to call by the name of ‘The Wall’ Rahul Dravid.
Rahul Dravid was won admirers around the world with his prolific run-scoring on the field and his understated, humble and charming personality off the field. Over the span of a glorious cricketing journey, he has won over most who have seen, heard or met him. click for more information –
( MUST READ – Rahul Dravid 100 Balls 1 Run )
The awe that Dravid used to command at the crease with his genial smile and a killer bat can never be replicated, his contributions for India can never be marginalised. Dravid was arguably the most technically sound batsman India has ever produced, and probably, in terms of sheer impact of his performances, has played more significant knocks than this teammate and great friend Sachin Tendulkar.
ALSO READ | slowest inning in test cricket
1. Dravid’s father used to work at the Kissan factory which makes Jams, which has earned Dravid the nickname ‘Jammy’. Dravid has also starred in an advertisement for Kissan.
2. Rahul holds the distinction of being the only Indian to score centuries in four consecutive test-match innings when he scored against West Indies at Mumbai. His previous three hundreds, 115,148 and 217 came during India’s tour of England in 2002.
3. Rahul Dravid won the ICC Test Player of the year and the Player of the year awards when the ICC awards were launched way back in 2004, which remains one of his greatest achievements.
4. Rahul Dravid is also the only cricketer to have scored a century in each test playing nation. He achieved this stunning feat with a century against Bangladesh at Chittagong in 2004.
5. Rahul Dravid is the only non-Australian cricketer to address the Bradman Oration. He delivered the Bradman Oration on December 14,2012 at the War Memorial in Canberra. What an honor!
6. Dravid was the top scorer in the seventh ODI World Cup in England in 1999, with 461 runs, a perfect response to people who kept insisting he was a test match batsman.
7. Dravid was voted the sexiest sports personality in India in an online survey (2004-05). He left the likes of Yuvraj Singh and Sania Mirza behind.
8. Dravid is the only ever player in cricket history to have made his debut and retired in the same match. He made 31 off 21 in his T20 debut against England in the summer of 2011.
9. Much like Sourav Ganguly who also drifted to cricket after an initial obsession with football, Dravid played hockey before he took to cricket. With a natural flair for the sport, Dravid was selected for Karnataka’s junior state team.
10. Glenn McGrath once famously said that if there was one Indian cricketer who could earn a direct entry into the great Australian side of the late 90s, it would be Rahul Dravid.
11. We have already told you why Rahul is called ‘Jammy’. But very few people know that there is also a local cricket tournament at the school level named after the veteran batsman. The ‘Jammy Cup’ is held in Bangalore and the man-of-the-match gets the title of ‘Jammy of the Day.’
12. MTV viewers might have seen this! Dravid was proposed by a woman on MTV’s popular show – Bakra, a part of a prank ofcourse. But Dravid was seen advising the young maiden about continuing with her education and devoting her time to other things in life except her obsession for him!
Don’t miss this amazing video! Check it out here!