Australia now stare at a certain humiliating defeat in the third Ashes test at Edgbaston. England’s bowling assault, led by the towering Steven Finn once again dented all the hopes of an Australian comeback. Finn bowled a spell, which had all the ingredients of sheer excitement. England began the day, wobbling to the menace of Mitchell Johnson. Johnson yet again was among the wickets as he dismissed Jonny Bairstow on a peach of a delivery.
Joe Root however resisted well and got to a well made half century. Moeen Ali and Stuart Broad later added some priceless runs as England stretched their total to 281, thus gaining a lead of 145. Stuart Broad got the all important wicket of the lion hearted Chris Rogers. Steve Smith was dismissed for a single digit score, as his woes against quality bowling in testing conditions remain. Michael Clarke endured another failure and Clarke’s future surely will come under the scanner. If things do not turn around quickly for the Australian captain, then the Ashes might well be his last assignment in international cricket.
Finn struck of successive deliveries as he even dismissed Adam Voges. Warner counterattacked with a knock of 77, but was outdone by Anderson. Finn got a well deserved five for as he ravaged the Australian second innings. The Aussies could finally save some grace as they avoided an innings defeat.
Here’s the Top-5 statistics from the Day Two action of the 3rd Ashes Test match between Australia and England –
1. The last time Australia lost 5 wickets below 100 in both the innings, it was against Sri Lanka at Kandy in 1999.
2. 1890 – The year in which Australia last lost a test in 2 days. The defeat came at the Oval. The Aussies were lucky enough to avert that today!
3. David Warner averages 21.3 against England in the first innings. The average jumps to 68.8 in the second innings.
4. Ben Stokes has 5 ducks to his name since the last 10 tests.
5. Mitchell Johnson became only the second Australian to have a test career aggregate of 2000 runs and 300 wickets.
Get all the news and other interesting details about the upcoming T20 tri-series (Nidahas Trophy) featuring India, Bangladesh, and Sri Lanka. Follow an download IPL 2018 schedule. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter to stay connected with all the news related to the league. Also, check live score and you can subsequently download the Sportzwiki cricket app for Android to stay updated.