If the first day at Lord’s was about Australia’s dominance, the second day was just about England’s utter misery. England now, possibly stare at an innings defeat, unless something miraculous happens of course! Australia began the day cautiously as Smith and Rogers aimed to extend Australia’s dominance. Rogers though, was dismissed soon but Smith went on and got to his first double ton. The batsmen at the other end kept on chipping in, while Smith was rock solid. He was eventually dismissed for 215.
England got off to an atrocious start as Mitchell Johnson once again reminded them of the 2013/14 Australian summer! Johnson looked menacing and his wicket of Gary Ballance was special. Hazlewood and Starc supported Johnson well, as England ended Day 2 on 85-4. Alastair Cook and Ben Stokes though, looked set by the end of the day’s play and now their batting will determine the total to which England get.
Below, are the top 5 stats from Day 2 of the second Ashes test.
1. Steve Smith became the FIRST Australian player since Jason Gillispie to score a double ton overseas. Gillispie scored his double ton against Bangladesh in 2006.
2. Steve Smith became the 12th YOUNGEST Australian batsman to score a double century.
3. Ian Bell was dismissed on 1, for the 11th TIME in his career.
4. Mitchell Johnson is currently on 295* TEST WICKETS. After 68 tests, the leading wicket taker for Australia was D. Lillee, who had 342 wickets to his name.
5. Steve Smith’s current batting average is 58.68. For batsmen with minimum 2500 runs, this is the third highest batting average.
Get all the news and other interesting details about the upcoming T20 tri-series (Nidahas Trophy) featuring India, Bangladesh, and Sri Lanka. Follow an download IPL 2018 schedule. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter to stay connected with all the news related to the league. Also, check live score and you can subsequently download the Sportzwiki cricket app for Android to stay updated.