Cricketing world’s most successful wicket-keeper of all-time Mark Boucher is celebrating his 38th birthday today. It can be said with utmost surety that with the way he defined wicket-keeping, cricket will never witness another Mark Boucher again. In the wake of it, let’s take a look at some of his notable achievements for his country:
1. Mark Boucher was one of the most important factors in South Africa’s record-chase of 435 against Australia. He scored 50 not out to help South Africa create history.
2. Boucher is the most successful Test wicket-keeper of all time. In 147 Tests, he affected 555 dismissals.
3. He is also the 2nd most successful ODI wicket-keepers of all time (behind Adam Gilchrist), affecting424 dismissals in 295 ODIs.
4. Boucher is also 2nd in the list of the most number of runs by a wicket-keeper in Tests (behind Adam Gilchrist). In 147 Tests, he scored 5515 runs at an average of 30.30 with 5 centuries.
5. He is 5th in the list of the most number of runs by a wicket-keeper in ODIs. In 295 ODIs, he scored 4686 runs at an average of 28.57 with 1 century and 26 half-centuries.
6. Boucher retired with 999 international dismissals, the most by any wicket-keeper.
7. Boucher went on to play in 147 Tests for South Africa, which is 9th on the all-time list, and 2nd in the South African players list. Jacques Kallis leads the charts for South Africa with 166 Tests.
8. He also bowled 8 balls in Test cricket and his only victim in those balls was the current West Indies ODI captain Dwayne Bravo.
9. In the top 5 bowler-wicketkeeper combination in Tests, he features 2 times with Makhaya Ntini and Shaun Pollock. In Ntini’s bowling, he took 84 catches in 96 matches. In Pollock’s bowling, he took 79 catches in 88 matches.
10. Boucher features 3rd in the list of the most number stumpings affected by a wicket-keeper (23) throughout his Test career.
Sportzwiki is one of the fastest growing sports websites in India, Asia and in the world. It is a sports website to connect you to all the latest happenings in the world of sports with news and opinion based articles from various sports.