It was a dead rubber contest between India and Sri Lanka at the Eden Gardens. India had already won the series 3-0. It was the game where Indians were up for some experiments. Shikhar Dhawan was rested from the squad and Rohit Sharma was made his comeback today and that too with a tinge of sheer brilliance. India simply outplayed Sri Lanka for yet another time to edge closer to a whitewash. The series stands at 4-0 at the moment. Here is the list of the HITS and FLOPS of the day.
HITS Of The Day
- Rohit Sharma (India): Can anyone believe that a batsman can score 264 runs in a single ODI? Well this was the scenario today. After making a slow start, he just went ballistic. He scored his half century in 72 deliveries but geared up his innings soon after that. He went onto score 264 runs off 173 deliveries with 33 fours and 9 sixes. It is a World Record. And as a matter of fact, Rohit reached from the score of 200 to 250 in a span of 15 deliveries. His mammoth innings helped India to pose a target of 405 runs.
- Virat Kohli (India): The standing skipper of India is managing things quite well. He himself is gaining form too. He scored a brilliant half century the other day and he played brilliantly today and scored 66 runs off 64 deliveries with 6 fours. He was run out at the score of 66.
- Angelo Mathews(Sri Lanka): The Sri Lankan skipper played well too. Sri Lanka were struggling at a score of 48 for the loss of 4 wickets when Mathews took control of one end and played brilliantly to score 75 runs for his team. His innings involved 9 fours and a six.
- Dhawal Kulkarni (India): The young medium pacer of India got his maiden international chance in this series and he utilized the fullest of the opportunity provided to him. He bowled incredibly well in quite a straight line and length and took valuable wickets too. He gave 34 runs in his 10 overs and took 4 important wickets.
FLOPS Of The Day
- Ambati Rayudu (India): It was a day not meant for Rayudu. He failed with the bat today and did not manage to score much. He was dismissed at a score of 8 runs. He faced 19 deliveries to score those runs.
- Mahela Jayawardene (Sri Lanka): The experienced pro of Sri Lanka did not manage to impress today and he was dismissed at the time when his side needed him to score. He managed to score just 2 runs when he was adjudged LBW.
- Ajantha Mendis (Sri Lanka): The mystery spinner of Sri Lanka did not have a good day today. He was expensive today and gave away too many runs. He struggled with his line and length and his deliveries were pretty much predictable. He gave 70 runs in 7 overs.
- Dinesh Chandimal (Sri Lanka): He failed to perform with the bat today. Sri Lanka desperately needed a solid start to counter to the chase of mammoth 405 runs. But Chandimal was caught by Raina on a delivery of Binny. He managed to score just 9 runs.
Image Credits: espncricinfo.com
Get all the news and other interesting details about the upcoming T20 tri-series (Nidahas Trophy) featuring India, Bangladesh, and Sri Lanka. Follow an download IPL 2018 schedule. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter to stay connected with all the news related to the league. Also, check live score and you can subsequently download the Sportzwiki cricket app for Android to stay updated.