With the introduction of the shortest versions of the game i.e. the T20 format, run scoring is considered to be not much of a big task. We can see more over 300 runs being scored in ODI cricket and also being chased. We can also see above 350 runs being scored in a single day of a test on an average basis. The run feasts are increasing day by day and with most of the modern day pitches offering less for the bowlers, batsmen find it much easier to score runs freely. So, in order to draw light to the batting brilliance, here is the list of the Leading Run Scorers in International Cricket in 2014:
1. Kumar Sangakkara (2278 runs): The Sri Lankan batsman who is getting better and better with his batting is leading the chart. He has made some promising contributions with the bat throughout the year and has helped Sri Lanka to win the Asia Cup, ICC World T20 and also the away series against England. He has also registered a double century after his name in this year.
2. Angelo Mathews (1893 runs): Another Sri Lankan in the list. This middle-order batsman did wonders for the team when the team needed a good innings from him. He is currently the captain of the Sri Lankan team and since the time when he was given the role of a captain, he looked to be of much more reliable.
3. Mahela Jayawardene (1597 runs): The shinning Jayawardene played his last test a few weeks back and he was tremendous with his batting. Runs scored by him and Sangakkara in partnerships stand to be the highest runs scored by a pair in International cricket.
4. Joe Root (1348 runs): The young talent of England is proving golden for them. Root has scored several tons in the series against Sri Lanka and India and he has been pretty much consistent. Also, he will be a key player for England during the World Cup to be held next year.
5. Faf Du Plessis (1225 runs): The South African batsman is running through a flying form. He has been a run machine for South Africa in the triangular series and has scored 3 centuries in his last 4 innings. He was dismissed on 96 in the innings where he missed his century. He will surely add more to this run scoring tally this year.
6. Hashim Amla (1217 runs): Another South African in the list. He has been in prime form in all formats of the game. He has been the Mr. Dependable for South Africa for quite some time now and he played really well in South Africa’s tour to Sri Lanka.
7. Kane Williamson (1209 runs): This Kiwi youngster looks promising. It is still early days of his career and in that short span he has surpassed plenty of records. He played outstandingly well in New Zealand’s home series against India and also in New Zealand’s tour to West Indies.
8. Virat Kohli (1201 runs): He was considered as Mr. Consistent for India prior to the England series. But he had a severe lean patch in India’s tour to England where he failed to score a half century in the series. He was brilliant in the Asia Cup and also in the ICC World T20 which helped him stick to this spot.
Get all the news and other interesting details about the upcoming T20 tri-series (Nidahas Trophy) featuring India, Bangladesh, and Sri Lanka. Follow an download IPL 2018 schedule. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter to stay connected with all the news related to the league. Also, check live score and you can subsequently download the Sportzwiki cricket app for Android to stay updated.