The Chinnaswamy stadium in Bangalore witnessed yet another one of its kind show from the fantastic duo of Virat Kohli and AB De Villiers! The two went simply ballistic against the Gujarat Lions as their brilliance seemed to be on a different level altogether. The two got to their tons and this was just the second instance in a T20 game where two batsmen got to their century in the same innings.
By the virtue of their impeccable performance, the Royal Challengers amassed a colossal 248-3 on board. De Villiers remained unbeaten on 129 off just 52 deliveries; while Kohli was dismissed on the second last ball of the innings for 109 off just 55 deliveries.
Post their epic 229 runs stand, both the batsmen interacted in an interview and discussed their knocks. “It’s always a pleasure batting with AB. Second double-hundred partnership. He got 133 there, he got 129 here. He gave me a lot of confidence. I started off slowly, but he just took over. I did not think about the hundred, but when I hit Shivil for three sixes, there was hope. AB asked me if I was thinking about the hundred, I said, no just keep quiet, said a delighted Virat Kohli.
De Villiers too was full in awe of his partner, as he said, “I actually didn’t feel too good in the beginning. It was slow. Always a pleasure batting with him He’s looking much fitter than me. My secret is very simple. My wife came here to watch me today. Jaddu actually bowled well, but the other spinners missed their marks,” said De Villiers.
The duo broke an array of records and registered some mind-boggling numbers. Below, is the compilation of some of those crazy stats.
- Three – Virat Kohli became the first player to score 3 centuries in one particular edition of the IPL.
- 229 – The 229 runs stand between the duo was the highest ever in T20’s. They broke their own record of 215 against the Mumbai Indians in 2015.
- Fifth – De Villiers’ ton today was the 5th quickest of the IPL.
- 248. The Royal Challengers total was the second highest team total in IPL history.
- Four – De Villiers and Kohli became the first pair to share 4-century stands in one particular IPL edition.
- Seven – Virat Kohli already has 7 50+ scores in this season of the IPL. He is just one behind from equaling Chris Gayle’s record.
- Second – This was just the second instance when two batsmen scored centuries in an innings in a T20 game.
- 112 – Royal Challengers scored 112 runs in the last 5 overs.
- 8.50 to 16.66 – This was the band of the economy rates of the Gujarat Lions bowlers.
- 20 – The number of sixes hit by the Royal Challengers in all. That is, a six every six balls!
- Third – De Villiers became the third overseas player to get to 3000 IPL runs.