The future of Bangladesh Tour was called into question after an attack on a Dhaka cafe last month saw 20 – mostly foreign – hostages killed, with the Islamic State group claiming responsibility. However, the England and Wales Cricket Board said the tour, which includes two-Test and three one-day international matches in October, would go ahead as planned.
Moeen Ali is the first England player to confirm unreservedly that he will be available for the upcoming tour of Bangladesh. All-rounder Ali, speaking in Cardiff ahead of England’s fifth and final one-day international against Pakistan in the Welsh capital on Sunday, said: “If selected, I’ll definitely go.
“I’m pretty happy with everything and really looking forward to it,” the Worcestershire off-spinner and left-handed batsman added. “I’ve been there a few times, five or six,” he said.
Following the Dhaka attack, the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) sent an inspection team to Bangladesh led by long-serving security chief Reg Dickason.
After he reported back, the ECB said last month that the tour, which includes three one-day international and two Test match fixtures in October and November, would go ahead as planned. “My view is you’re not safe anywhere these days. I think you can be anywhere and still not be safe,” said Ali.
England assistant coach Paul Farbrace, who was with the Sri Lanka squad when their bus came under armed attack in Lahore in 2009, has also said he intends to travel to Bangladesh.
But England one-day captain Eoin Morgan, who was among a group of players given a security briefing by Dickason, said Friday he had still to make up his mind.
Ali had no qualms about anyone taking their time over deciding whether or not to commit to the tour. “It’s really tough to decide, even for myself. Everyone’s different and has their own views on things — and as a team, you back other other’s decisions. It’s up to the individual. There’s no pressure on anyone — it’s up to that person and how he feels, ” he told.