In modern day Cricket, aggressive batting has become a kind of trend. We can see a total of over 300 runs being scored in many matches. Also, such huge totals are not even safe. More often, they get chased down. Also, we can see galore of boundaries in modern day Cricket. This is especially due to the courtesy of attacking batsmen in the likes of Brendon McCullum, AB de Villiers and others.
In the present World Cup too, we have seen some blistering knocks. In this article, we are to emphasize upon the number of sixes being hit in the history of World Cup tournaments.
- 2007 – 373: It was the World Cup that was held in the Caribbean and there were the presence of attacking batsmen in the likes of Adam Gilchrist, Matthew Hayden, Andrew Symmonds, Kumar Sangakkara and others. It was also a World Cup full of upsets. Still 2007 World Cup leads the chart with respect to the number of sixes.
- 2015 – 325*: This World Cup has been the most high scoring one and we have seen some intent aggression with the bat by some destructive batsmen like AB de Villiers and Brendon McCullum. Also, since the grounds in New Zealand are relatively shorter, this eases the effort for hitting sixes.
- 2003 – 266: This World Cup was yet another high scoring one. Sachin Tendulkar was the leading run scorer in the World Cup with 673 runs. There were the presence of many attacking batsmen in the likes of Ganguly, Yuvraj, Gilchrist, Symonds and others.
- 2011 – 258: The previous World Cup has seen relatively lesser number of sixes. This was due to the long grounds in India. The final six hit by MS Dhoni to seal the Cup for India on April 2, 2011 was the most memorable one.
- 1999 – 153: This World Cup was played in England. And the nature of the grounds there are pretty long enough. Also, the presence of brilliant bowlers in the likes of Allan Donald, Shane Warne, Wasim Akram and others restricted the scoring of boundaries to a great extent.
- 1996 – 148: This World Cup was hosted jointly by India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka. And there was relatively lesser number of sixes being hit. Also, this World Cup was surrounded by a number of controversies.
- 1987 – 126: This World Cup was won by Australia under the leadership of Allan Border. It was hosted by India and thus a number of sixes were hit then.
- 1992 – 93: This World Cup was won by Pakistan under the leadership of Imran Khan. It was played in Australia so it was obvious that lesser number of sixes were hit complying to the shorter nature of the grounds.
- 1983 – 77: This World Cup is intensely memorable for India as it was their first World Cup win. It was being played in England.
- 1975, 1979 – 28: The inaugural World Cups were played in England. Sixes in those days were a rarity. Both the World Cups were being won by West Indies under the leadership of Clive Lloyd.
Get all the news and other interesting details about the upcoming T20 tri-series (Nidahas Trophy) featuring India, Bangladesh, and Sri Lanka. Follow an download IPL 2018 schedule. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter to stay connected with all the news related to the league. Also, check live score and you can subsequently download the Sportzwiki cricket app for Android to stay updated.