Pakistan chased down the total of 256 set by Sri Lanka with relative ease as they sealed the 5 match series. With the win in the fourth ODI, Pakistan ensured that they had an unassailable lead of 3-1 against the hosts. Angello Mathews won the toss and had no hesitation in batting first. The hosts were dented early on as Kusal Perera was dismissed for a duck.
Thirimanne and Dilshan got along and were involved in a 109 run stand, before Dilshan fell. Thirimanne was eventually dismissed for 90 by Yasir Shah. In the middle of the Sri Lankan innings, there was a bit of controversy as Ahmad Shahzad claimed a false catch, which only added fuel to the fire.
Pakistan began the chase with a burst of aggression as Azhar Ali and Shahzad led the onslaught. Once Ali was dismissed by Malinga, Hafeez and Shahzad carried on and toyed with the Sri Lankan bowling. Shahzad was unfortunate to be dismissed on 95, as he deserved the three figure mark. Soon, Mohammad Hafeez too was dismissed as he made his way back for 70. However, that didn’t affect Pakistan adversely as they chased down the total with sheer ease.
With another series loss to his name, Angello Mathews is surely running short of ideas as he struggles to effectively lead his side. The fifth ODI is a dead rubber, but both the sides would want to win in order to end the ODI series on a high.
Below, are the statistical highlights from the 4th ODI between Sri Lanka vs Pakistan –
1. This was the 8th time in his career when Kusal Perera was dismissed for a duck.
2. Pakistan now have 9 opening stands of over 50 in 2015.
3. 36.51. Ahmad Shahzad’s batting average while chasing, as opposed to his career average of 35.44.
4. The chase by Pakistan in the 4th ODI was the fifth highest in Sri Lanka. The highest run chase in Sri Lanka was made by India, when they chased down 288-5 in 2012.
5. The partnership between Shahzad and Hafeez was the 6th century stand for the 2nd wicket for Pakistan against Sri Lanka, after losing the first wicket for 0.
Get all the news and other interesting details about the upcoming T20 tri-series (Nidahas Trophy) featuring India, Bangladesh, and Sri Lanka. Follow an download IPL 2018 schedule. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter to stay connected with all the news related to the league. Also, check live score and you can subsequently download the Sportzwiki cricket app for Android to stay updated.