English county side Sussex has signed South African all-rounder David Wiese for a short term to appear in the NatWest T20 Blast. The all-rounder, who is currently plying his trade for IPL franchise Royal Challengers Bangalore, will play two games for Sussex before the arrival of Mustafizur Rahman.
Sussex had earlier agreed to give Mustafizur Rahman some time to rest after the Indian Premier League. The decision was taken by Sussex after there were speculations of Mustafizur considering to pull out of the T20 Blast stint.
Wiese, who has played just one game in IPL, expressed his excitement to play in England.He said that he has spoken to Sussex’s Chris Jordan, who was signed by RCB last month, about the playing conditions at Sussex.
“I am really excited to be joining Sussex and taking part in the NatWest T20 Blast campaign,” Wiese said. “I have always wanted to play county cricket and from speaking to Chris Jordan here in the IPL and my discussions with Mark Davis I have heard a lot of very good things about the club.”
Sussex’s head coach, Mark Davis welcomed the new signing and said that Wiese would be a valuable asset for his team.
“It’s great to have David joining us fresh from the IPL. He is an accomplished cricketer in T20, having played a key role in South Africa in the format. He can bowl at any stage of the innings, and is a hard-hitting batsman, which makes him a valuable cricketer and we look forward to him being an asset to us whilst he is here at Hove,” he said.
Wiese is expected to be available for Sussex’s two home games , on June 1 and 3.