The ICC World Cup, 2015 is knocking at the door. While the entire globe awaits teh tournamnet, we pick up the top 5 matches of World Cup History. Let’s dig deep into this.
1. 1983 World Cup Final (India vs. West Indies): 25th June, 1983, the proud day for Indians. That day India first won the World Cup. West Indies won the toss and elected to field first. It was a low scoring match. Actually overall batting line up did not played well. The Caribbeans were very happy as India were strangled for just only 183 runs. Richards was playing very well for West Indies team and brought 50 runs for the team. But Mohinder Amarnath and Madan Lal did the magic with the ball and ended up their career with a mix total of 103 wickets from 108 Tests. That day they somehow managed to get 3 wickets each and clinched the title. A remarkable day for Indians cricket history.
2. 1999 World Cup Semi-Final (South Africa vs. Australia): It was one of the nail-biting match of the cricket world cup history. South Africa won the toss and elected to ball first. Australia scored 213 runs with the help of Steve Waugh’s 56 runs, Michael Bevan’s 65 runs and Ricky Ponting’s 37 runs. This game was such a see-saw. Things were changing every 5 overs, sometimes Australian team were in a good position, sometimes Proteas were in a good position. At the end the match tied. But this match is significant as that match has given birth of the ‘chokers’ tag.
3. 2003 World cup 36th Match (India vs. Pakistan): Pakistan elected to bat first and Saeed Anwar is the man who gave the momentum in the Pakistani board. The overall team did not perform well but Saeed Anwar pushed he team and kept them in the match. He scored a ton in that match. At the end of the 50th over they created a wall of 273 runs for the Indians. Sachin Tenduakar is the man who played selflessly in that match. He scored 98 runs in that match and gave a momentum. The partnership of Rahul Dravid and Yuvraj Singh’s innings were cherry on the cake. They scored devastating 44 runs and 50 runs respectively and won the match by 6 wickets.
4. 2011 World Cup 2nd Quarter Final Match (India vs. Australia): This match played at Sardar Patel Stadium Motera, Ahmedabad. Australia won the toss and elected to bat first. The Australian skipper single handedly made 104 runs and help the team to reach at a safe position in the match. The Sachin-Gambhir partnership broke the ribs of Australian bowling line up. Yuvi and Raina put the last nail in the coffin and won the match.
5. 2007 World Cup 9th Match (Pakistan vs. Ireland): This match was played at Sabina Park, Kingston, Jamaica. Ireland won the toss and elected to ball first. This match was another low scoring match. Boyd Rankin and Botha bowled well and Pakistan strangled for only 132 runs. When Ireland started batting it seems Pakistan can win the match with their two deadly bowler Sami and Anjum but after sometime Niall O’Brien pushed hard and led the team to the victory.
Image Credit: wikipedia