In the 18 man squad touring England to play 5 test matches is one of the most inexperienced squad India has toured to England in recent times. The highest run getter in the current Indian squad hasn’t even scored 500 runs, such is the lack of experience of Indian batsmen. But still Indian contingent is confident of beating the English players on their own turf. Here is the list of batsmen who have scored the most number of runs in England against England in Test matches –
5) Ishanth Sharma: No need to rub your eyes, you’ve read it right and yes we are talking about run scorers and not wicket-takers. In the tour of 2011 Ishanth Sharma batted 8 innings in the 4 matches he played and managed to score 24 runs in all. He all remained not-out twice. He carries huge experience down the order. Don’t you think so? Well let’s move forward.
4) Gautam Gambhir: Played just 3 test matches in the 2011 tour. In the 6 innings that he managed to bat, Gambhir could score only 102 runs. Last time when Gambhir came to England, the English bowlers troublem him bouncers, this time round he has made a comeback into the team after a long time. It will be interesting to see if there is any change in him or it was just in IPL that we saw a bit of his class.
3) MS Dhoni: Our Captain cool has played the highest number of matches against England in England in this present test squad. In the 7 matches and 13 innings that Dhoni has batted in, he has managed to score 429 runs. His batting will have a huge role to play in this whole tour and so will his captaincy. If his batting strikes form, then he can bat along well in the middle order and also score some important runs with the tail.
2) Rahul Dravid: Yes, Team India‘s batting consultant might not be playing this time around but the experience he has on these English pitches is inevitable. In the 13 test matches that Dravid has played on this soil, he has managed to score 1376 runs. Not to say, second highest by any Indian. His batting tips would surely come in handy for our batsmen.
1) Duncan Fletcher: He hasn’t played any test against England, but this Indian team coach is the ex-coach of the England team and is well aware of the English coditions. While he was the coach of English team, his team won 8 test matches in a row and most importantly they also won the Ashes. Man with such experience surely needs to be on top of the list.
Here is the table –
Keeping all jokes apart, only two Indian batsmen and one Indian bowler from the current test squad have the experience of playing in these conditions hence the experience of Indian support staff, that consists of Rahul Dravid and Duncan Fletcher would come in very handy.
Stat updated till July 3, 2014