ICC Cricket World Cup is perhaps the prime cricketing event and consistency does count in such a huge tournament. Some teams tend to perform incredibly well in World Cup tournaments. A clear instance is Australia. There was a time a decade ago when even a child could predict the winner of the World Cup easily as it was Australia and they were in a kind of unstoppable run.
Here, in this article, we draw light to the most consecutive wins in World Cup tournaments by a team. Here goes the list:
1. Australia, 25, Span- 1999 – 2011: The Australian side won three World Cups on a trot starting from 1999 to 2007. And they were unbeaten on 2003 and on 2007 World Cup. Ricky Ponting captained the Australian side on both the occasions. Australia finally lost to Pakistan in the group stage of the 2011 World Cup and were later beaten by India in the quarter finals in the World Cup. This ended their winning run.
2. West Indies, 9, Span- 1975 – 1979: The West Indian side was unbeatable in that era. They possessed the deadliest fast bowlers of the time. Also, Clive Lloyd led the side pretty well. West Indies won the first two World Cup tournaments.
3. India, 9*, Span- 2011-2015: India lost only a single game in 2011 World Cup where they lost to South Africa by a narrow margin. They failed to defend a total of 296 runs. But Indian team has been pretty much consistent after that. They won 4 matches in the previous World Cup back to back to become the champions. And so far, in this world Cup too, they are unbeaten and won comprehensively in each of their 5 games.
4. India, 8, Span- 2003: Indian team back in 2003 was the dark horses of the tournament. Indian team, led by Sourav Ganguly comprised of shining youngsters in the likes of Zaheer Khan, Yuvraj Singh and others. India were defeated badly in their second game of the World Cup but they never went down after that. They went on to win 8 games on a trot but on a sad note, they lost the World Cup final to Australia by a margin of 134 runs.
5. Pakistan,7, Span- 1992-1996: The Pakistani side, led by Imran Khan in 1992 was phenomenal with their performances. They performed rather brilliantly. They were undefeated in 8 consecutive matches. Pakistan was crowned as the champions of the 1992 World Cup.