Cricket is called as the Gentleman’s game and has many sweet memories associated with the game. But even the gentleman’s game can become ungentle at times and several incidents in the history of the game are some proofs to the fact. Cricket has been severely stained on a number of occasions when there were some incidents of disrespectfulness not only towards the game but also towards something broader than that. In this article, we bring out to you about the top 5 incidents in cricket which were sheer disrespectful to the game:
- 1996 World Cup Semi Final: It was one of the most memorable Cricket match in the history of the game. It was the Semi Final of the World Cup between India and Sri Lanka at Eden Gardens, Kolkata on March 13th. The crowd at Kolkata is known for its craziness and that day was a proof of it though not in a positive manner. India won the toss in the match and opted to field first. Sri Lanka batted incredibly well and opted a mammoth total of over 250 for India to chase. Chasing a target of 251 runs, Indians started the innings well but after the dismissal of Sachin Tendulkar, Indians crumbled severely and when they were on the verge of losing the game, the crowd erupted with violence. Bottles were thrown on the field and several stands were put to fire. Match Referee was forced to stop the game and Sri Lanka were declared as winners.
- Pakistan’s Walk Out From The Oval: This is another instance of disrespect shown towards the game. It was the 4th Test between England and Pakistan from August 17-21, 2006. England batted first in the test and were bundled at 173 runs. Pakistan scored 504 runs in their first innings. But the climax occurred on the 4th day of the test during England’s second innings. It seemed that the on-field umpire, Daryl Hair clearly was discriminating the Pakistanis and were rejecting their appeals without any concern. He went further by declaring fours as sixes in favour of England. This angered Inzamam-ul-Haq, the Pakistani captain and he asked his team to leave the field. England were declared as winners of the test then but as a result of an amendment in 2008, the match was adjourned as a draw.
- Spot Fixing Scandals in IPL, 2013: In the sixth edition of IPL, Cricket in India was badly stained by spot-fixing scandals. It was a time in India when people almost lost their faith from the game of cricket. When it was proved that Sreesanth, Ajit Chandila and Ankit Chauhan were actively involved in spot fixing scandals, people lost their faith from the clarity in IPL. Such spot-fixing incidents were indeed acute disrespectful for the game of Cricket as a whole.
- Dennis Lillee Vs Javed Miandad Fight: Yes, it is read correct. There was a fight on the Cricket field between Australian fast bowler Dennis Lillee and Javed Miandad in a test match in 1981. Miandad was batting against Lillee and he glanced a delivery towards the leg and was on his way of taking runs. Lillee intervened Miandad’s path which led to the spat. Both of them got involved in exchanging “Pleasantries” and Lillee went on to kick Miandad on the field and Miandad in reply, tried to beat Lillee’s head out with his bat. Umpires got themselves involved to calm down the situation. This incident still remains as one of the poorest spirited instances in the game.
- Underarm Delivery By Chappell: It was the 3rd Final of the World Series Cup between Australia and New Zealand and the match got evenly poised up with New Zealand requiring 15 of the last over. Richard Hadlee started the over with a boundary and brought back New Zealand in the game but then got dismissed. Finally, it stood as New Zealand requiring 7 runs of the last ball and Trevor Chappell was the bowler. To the most non-spirited approach, he decided to bowl an under-arm delivery in the last ball as under-arm deliveries were not illegal in those days. Thus utilizing the cricket rule in the most crooked possible manner, this marked as one of the most disrespectful incidences to the game.
Get all the news and other interesting details about the upcoming T20 tri-series (Nidahas Trophy) featuring India, Bangladesh, and Sri Lanka. Follow an download IPL 2018 schedule. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter to stay connected with all the news related to the league. Also, check live score and you can subsequently download the Sportzwiki cricket app for Android to stay updated.