Chelsea is closing in on Brazilian wonderkid Gabriel Barbosa despite Barcelona and Juventus’ strong intent.

The Santos striker hinted earlier that he is ready to leave the club before posting a picture on Instagram which seemed to say goodbye to supporters.

And now the Blues are in pole position after Brazilian media reported they had moved ahead with their £15million offer.

Antonio Conte is keen to rope in Barbosa, who has refused to sign a new contract with Santos.

The Brazilian has so far scored five goals in 10 games this season and two in four having broken into the Brazil team in March.

19-year-old Barbosa scored on Saturday as Santos beat Ponte Preta.

And he told during the post-match press conference: “I played as if it was my last game here. Soon you will know something.”

The talented striker then posted an Instagram picture of himself kissing the Santos badge, alongside the message: “My heart is Alvinegro and it will always beat for you. Santos are my life. I will love you until death.”

Meanwhile, Santos have claimed Barbosa had already agreed on a contract extension till 2021, suggesting the teen would stay in Brazil to continue his development like Neymar.

But Barbosa, on the contrary, told Globe Esporte. “No, there is still no agreement. The president ended up talking, but there is nothing confirmed.

“We are just talking. My parents and my representatives are talking. They have some things to discuss. I have proposals, too, but there’s nothing confirmed yet.”


    Read More