Gabriel Barbosa

Rio de Janeiro, Aug 29 (IANS) Brazil striker Gabriel Barbosa has insisted that his 29.5 million euros ($32.9 million) move to Italian football club Inter Milan was not motivated by money.

Gabriel, who made his last appearance for Brazil’s Santos on Sunday, could not help his team which stumbled to a 0-1 loss to Figueirense in Brazil’s Serie A, reports Xinhua.

“I’m not going for money, or because Santos pressured me. I’m going because that’s what I want. It’s good money but it’s a huge challenge,” Gabriel told reporters.

“I scored a lot of goals, won titles and now it’s time to move on. It’s not a matter of money, but of recognition,” he said.

The 19-year-old agreed to terms with Inter last week as the Italian giants beat off interest from Juventus, Manchester United and Chelsea.

Gabriel is seen as one of Brazil’s most promising strikers, having scored 57 goals in 155 matches since making his first-team debut for Santos in 2013.

The forward was also part of Brazil’s gold medal-winning Olympic football team in Rio earlier this month.

Get all the news and other interesting details about the upcoming T20 tri-series (Nidahas Trophy) featuring India, Bangladesh, and Sri Lanka. Follow an download IPL 2018 schedule. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter to stay connected with all the news related to the league. Also, check live score and you can subsequently download the Sportzwiki cricket app for Android to stay updated.

  • SHARE
    The IANS was founded by Indian American publisher Gopal Raju as the India Abroad News Service. It was later renamed the Indo-Asian News Service.

    Read More