Chelsea started the new season with a 3-1 win against Burnley. Thibaut Courtois, Petr Cech, Diego Costa and Cesc Fabregas made their competitive debuts. Deigo Costa scored on his debut and Cesc Fabregas won the man of the match award for his brilliant performance. Leicester City‘s first game of the season ended in a 2-2 draw against Everton at the King Power stadium.
Ramires is available, but will start on bench. Thibaut Courtois is expected to retain his place in the starting XI. Filipe Luis will have to wait once again for his first start for the club and is expected to start from bench. Fabregas and Matic are expected to start in the central midfield. Willian will be on the bench once again after an impressive performance from Andre Schurrle. Diego Costa is expected to start up front for Chelsea.
Probable lineup (4-2-3-1): Thibaut Courtois; Branislav Ivanovic, Gary Cahill, John Terry, Cesar Azpilicueta; Cesc Fabregas, Nemanja Matic; Andre Schurrle, Oscar, Eden Hazard; Diego Costa
Meanwhile, Leicester City will be without Daniel Drinkwater, who is out due to hamstrinh injury. Dean Hammond might replace him in the midfield.
Probable lineup (4-4-2): Kasper Schmeichel; Ritchie De Laet, Liam Moore, Wes Morgan, Paul Konchesky; Riyad Mahrez, Dean Hammond, Andu King, Anthony Knockaert; Leonardo Ulloa, David Nugent
Jose Mourinho: “It is difficult. Leicester are champions, they are coming with a winning mentality. In the Premier League every point is important especially for the teams fighting for survival. Playing against Everton is always difficult and coming from behind to get a point against them is not easy. They are coming here to get points.”
Nigel Pearson: “Chelsea at Stamford Bridge speaks for itself. Their record there is very good but we have to think of this as something of a bonus. Not many people give us much hope but we have a strong resolve. If we can be an awkward customer I’ll be happy.”
“I don’t want us to just soak up pressure. We need to give each other enough options to maximise our offensive players. We have some threats. It will be a good opportunity for players to test themselves. We need a collective mind-set on the job in hand – the players have worked hard and it is important we do as well as we can.”
- Chelsea won four Premier League games in a row against Leicester before the Foxes were relegated in 2004.
- The Foxes have only ever won one of eight Premier League trips to Stamford Bridge (W1 D2 L5).
- Chelsea are top of the Premier League after the first matchday. None of the previous three instances (1999, 2008, 2010) have seen them go on to win the title.
- Chelsea have kept seven clean sheets in their last eight Premier League games at Stamford Bridge.
- But Chelsea won neither of their final two Premier League home games in 2013-14 (D1 L1).
- Only once has Jose Mourinho gone three Premier League home games without a win (April-May 2007).
- Cesc Fabregas has assisted 50 goals in his last 104 Premier League appearances.
- Fabregas assisted only one goal and failed to score in six Premier League appearances at Stamford Bridge for Arsenal.
- Leicester won 14 of their 23 away games in the Championship last season, three more than any other side.
- The Foxes’ last away defeat in the league came last December v Brighton.
Chelsea 3-0 Leicester
Get all the news and other interesting details about the upcoming T20 tri-series (Nidahas Trophy) featuring India, Bangladesh, and Sri Lanka. Follow an download IPL 2018 schedule. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter to stay connected with all the news related to the league. Also, check live score and you can subsequently download the Sportzwiki cricket app for Android to stay updated.