Sao Paulo, Dec 11 (IANS) Legendary Brazil striker Ronaldo said on Friday he would not rule himself out of running for the presidency of his country’s beleaguered football federation. Brazil federation (CBF) president Marco Polo del Nero last week began a leave of absence just hours after being charged by the US authorities with corruption, Xinhua news agency reported. His predecessor, Jose Maria Marin, has also renounced the CBF vice presidency after being extradited to the US following a separate US justice department indictment in May.

At a press conference in Sao Paulo on Thursday, Ronaldo accused Del Nero of seeking to maintain a “corrupt system” by nominating confidant Antonio Nunes to replace Marin. A Nunes victory at a December 16 election would pave the way for Nunes to succeed Del Nero, should the latter leave his post permanently. “I could be a candidate,” Ronaldo said. “We have to dismantle the existing corrupt system, which currently does not allow the entry of (outsiders). There is always a recommendation made from somebody within the CBF.” Ronaldo said he did not regret being an official 2014 World Cup ambassador. “I don’t regret it because I represented by country,” the three-time Ballon d’Or winner said. “I wasn’t paid a salary. Marin and Marco Polo didn’t do 5 percent of what I did and they earned salaries in excess of $28,000.”

Get all the news and other interesting details about the upcoming T20 tri-series (Nidahas Trophy) featuring India, Bangladesh, and Sri Lanka. Follow an download IPL 2018 schedule. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter to stay connected with all the news related to the league. Also, check live score and you can subsequently download the Sportzwiki cricket app for Android to stay updated.

  • SHARE
    The IANS was founded by Indian American publisher Gopal Raju as the India Abroad News Service. It was later renamed the Indo-Asian News Service.

    Read More