At stumps on day 3 of the third Test between India and Australia at Ranchi, India are fighting to cross Australia’s first innings total. India resumed the day on their overnight score of 120/1 and strongly carried on their 2nd wicket partnership between Murali Vijay and Cheteshwar Pujara. But since the partnership broke, the Indian team was suffering from regular fall of wickets.
However, Pujara strongly holds his wicket from the other side till the end of the day. At stumps on the day, India was 360/6 as they are still behind by 91 runs from Australia’s first innings total.
Brief Scores: Australia – 451 (Steven Smith 178*, Glenn Maxwell 104, Ravindra Jadeja 5/124)
India – 360/6 (Cheteshwar Pujara 130*, Murali Vijay 82, Pat Cummins 4/59)
Here are some statistical highlights of Day 3 of the 3rd Test:
- Indian batsmen Murali Vijay and Cheteshwar Pujara put another 100+ runs partnership which was the 6th 100+ Test partnership between them in the current season (2016/17). It is the second most no.of 100+ Test partnership between a pair in a season. The record is 7 times 100+ Test partnership in 2005/06 between Matthew Hayden and Ricky Ponting (Australia).
- Also, Indian batsmen Murali Vijay and Cheteshwar Pujara completed 2,500 runs Test partnership between them. It was their 37th Test innings partnership which is the fastest to complete 2,500 runs Test partnership between an Indian pair. The previous record was 42 Test innings and that was made by two Indian pairs. Those partners were: Rahul Dravid & Sachin Tendulkar and Virender Sehwag & Rahul Dravid
- At the end of the day, Indian batsmen Murali Vijay and Cheteshwar Pujara’s Test partnership has scored total 954 runs (in 10 innings) in the current season (2016/17). At present, it is the second most no.of total runs partnership between an Indian pair in a season. The record is total 961 runs (in 14 innings) partnership between Gautam Gambhir and Rahul Dravid in 2008/09.
- All of the top 3 Indian batsmen scored 50+ runs each during India’s 1st innings (KL Rahul 67, Murali Vijay 82 and Cheteshwar Pujara 130*). It was the 6th time when all of top 3 Indian batsmen scored 50 or more runs each against Australia on the Indian soil. The last time this incident happened at Mohali in 2008.
- Indian batsman Cheteshwar Pujara scored a brilliant century as he remained unbeaten on 130 runs at the end of the day. It is Pujara’s 2nd home Test century against Australia at no.3 position. As a no.3 Indian batsman, Pujara became the most no.of Test century scorer against Australia on the Indian soil. Only Dilip Vengsarkar and VVS Laxman had hit 1 home Test century each against Australia at no.3 position.
Get all the news and other interesting details about the upcoming T20 tri-series (Nidahas Trophy) featuring India, Bangladesh, and Sri Lanka. Follow an download IPL 2018 schedule. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter to stay connected with all the news related to the league. Also, check live score and you can subsequently download the Sportzwiki cricket app for Android to stay updated.