South Africa won the third and final T20I of the series against the hosts India at M. Chinnaswamy Stadium (Bengaluru) and finished the series with the 1-1 level scoreline.
After winning the toss, India decided to bat first and they were restricted to 134/9 (20 overs). In reply, the visitors South Africa reached the target in 16.5 overs after losing only one wicket. South Africa won this match by nine wickets.
Brief Scores: India – 134/9 in 20 overs (Shikhar Dhawan 36, Ravindra Jadeja 19; Kagiso Rabada 3/39)
South Africa – 140/1 in 16.5 overs (Quinton de Kock 79*, Reeza Hendricks 28; Hardik Pandya 1/23)
Result – South Africa won by nine wickets (with 19 balls remaining)
Read More: India Vs South Africa 2019/20: Third T20I – Virat Kohli Reveals Why He Chose To Bat First
Here are some of the statistical highlights of the match:
i) India managed to score 134/9 (20 overs).
- It was the third-lowest completed T20I total for India against South Africa. Their top two records are 92 (17.2 overs) at Cuttack on 5th October 2015 and 118/8 (20 overs) Nottingham on 16th June 2009.
ii) India lost this match by nine wickets.
- It was the largest T20I defeat (by wickets) for India at home. Their previous largest home T20I defeat was by eight wickets against Australia at Guwahati on 10th October 2017.
- It was the joint largest T20I defeat (by wickets) for India. Before this match, India lost by nine wickets in three more T20Is.
i) The visiting team South Africa won this match by nine wickets.
- It was the largest away T20I victory (by wickets) for South Africa. Their previous record was winning by eight wickets against New Zealand at Hamilton on 19th February 2012.
Rohit Sharma (India)
i) Indian cricketer Rohit Sharma played his 98th T20I.
- Rohit Sharma is now the joint most T20I cap holder for India. MS Dhoni has also played 98 T20Is.
David Miller (South Africa)
i) South African cricketer David Miller has taken 50 T20I catches as a non-wicketkeeper.
- After Shoaib Malik (Pakistan/ICC World XI), David Miller became the second non-wicketkeeper to take 50 T20I catches.
Quinton de Kock (South Africa)
i) South African cricketer Quinton de Kock has scored 5,067 runs in T20 career.
- Quinton de Kock is the sixth South African batsman to score 5,000+ T20 runs.
ii) Quinton de Kock has scored 1,018 runs in T20I career.
- Quinton de Kock became the sixth South African batsman to score 1,000+ T20I runs.
iii) South African captain Quinton de Kock scored 79 not out.
- It is the highest individual T20I score for a South African batsman against India. The previous record was 78 by Colin Ingram at Johannesburg on 30th March 2012.