On Sunday afternoon, Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) met against Sunrisers Hyderabad (SRH) at Eden Gardens, Kolkata in their crucial encounter. After winning the toss, SRH decided to bowl first.
KKR scored 171/6 in 20 overs after batted first. Chasing that total, SRH failed 22 runs short of the target as they only managed 149/8 in 20 overs. With this 22 runs win, KKR secured their spot in the IPL 2016 play-offs while SRH had secured their place in IPL 2016 play-offs at earlier.
Some of the statistical highlights of the match are given below:
- KKR batsmen Manish Pandey and Yusuf Pathan put 87 runs partnership for the 4th wicket. It was the highest 4th wicket partnership for KKR in the IPL 2016.
- SRH captain and opening batsman David Warner (51) hit another half-century in this match. It was his 7th half-century in the IPL 2016 and 32nd 50+ score (including centuries) in the IPL history. With this match half-century, he became the most 50+ scorer (including centuries) in the IPL history after surpassing KKR skipper Gautam Gambhir (31 times 50+ score).
On the other hand, David Warner also became the most 50+ scorer (7 times) in the IPL 2016 as a foreigner after surpassing Royal Challengers Bangalore player AB de Villiers who has 6 times 50+ score in the IPL 2016. However, Warner is currently at the second position to score most 50+ runs in IPL 2016 after Royal Challengers Bangalore skipper Virat Kohli (9 times).
- KKR beat SRH in this match by 22 runs. It was KKR’s largest victory by runs in the ongoing IPL 2016 as it was only second time for KKR in IPL 2016 to successfully defend their first batting total (the other one was against Kings XI Punjab by 7 runs at Kolkata).
- After scoring over 170 runs at first batting, KKR first time defended successfully that total in the ongoing IPL. Before this match, KKR scored over 170 runs at batting first for thrice in the IPL 2016 and lost all of them.
However, KKR once successfully chased over 170 runs (189/5 against Royal Challengers Bangalore at Bangalore) in the IPL 2016.
- KKR and SRH, both secured their place in the IPL 2016 play-offs. KKR enters IPL play-offs/semi-final for the 4th time (all 4 were play-offs) while SRH enters for the 2nd time in IPL play-offs (not played during semi-final).