On Friday (16th October) night, the reigning champions Mumbai Indians (MI) comfortably beat Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) by eight wickets (with 19 balls remaining) at Sheikh Zayed Cricket Stadium (Abu Dhabi).
Newly-appointed KKR captain Eoin Morgan won the toss and decided to bat first. However, his team wasn’t lucky in that entire match. While they scored 148/5 (20 overs), Mumbai Indians chased down that target in 16.5 overs after losing only two wickets.
Brief Scores: KKR – 148/5 in 20 overs (Pat Cummins 53*, Eoin Morgan 39*; Rahul Chahar 2/18)
MI – 149/2 in 16.5 overs (Quinton de Kock 78*, Rohit Sharma 35; Varun Chakravarthy 1/23)
The Result – MI won by 8 wickets
IPL 2020, Match 32: Mumbai Indians vs Kolkata Knight Riders (MI vs KKR) – Statistical Highlights
Mumbai Indians (MI)
i) Mumbai Indians won this match by eight wickets.
- It was the joint second-largest victory (by wickets) for Mumbai Indians against KKR as it was their second time 8-wicket victory against this side. Their record against KKR is winning by 9 wickets at Mumbai on 5th May 2019.
Mumbai Indians (MI)
Quinton de Kock
i) South African cricketer Quinton de Kock scored 78 not out.
- It was the highest individual score by an overseas batsman for Mumbai Indians against KKR. The previous record was 66 not out by another South African cricketer Herschelle Gibbs at Kolkata on 12th May 2012.
- It was the highest individual score by a left-handed batsman for Mumbai Indians against KKR. Their previous record was 62 not out by Ishan Kishan at Kolkata on 9th May 2018.
i) Pacer Jasprit Bumrah has got 194 T20 wickets.
- After this match, Jasprit Bumrah now became the joint most T20 wicket-taker among the Indian pacers as he equalled the record of R Vinay Kumar, who has also taken 194 T20 wickets.
Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR)
i) During this match, English limited-overs captain Eoin Morgan started his journey as a KKR captain.
- Eoin Morgan became the third overseas captain for KKR. Before him, New Zealand cricketer Brendon McCullum (13 T20s) and South African cricketer Jacques Kallis (2 T20s) led KKR in T20 cricket. Since 2011, it was the first time when an overseas cricketer led KKR.
- Eoin Morgan became the sixth captain for KKR.
Eoin Morgan and Pat Cummins
i) KKR batsmen Eoin Morgan and Pat Cummins put the 87 runs partnership for the unbroken 6th wicket.
- It was the highest 6th wicket partnership for any team against Mumbai Indians.
- It was the second-highest partnership for the 6th or lower wickets for any team against Mumbai Indians. The record is 91 runs partnership for the seventh wicket between Chris Morris and Kagiso Rabada (Delhi Daredevils) at Mumbai on 22nd April 2017.
- It was the fourth-highest 6th wicket partnership for KKR against any team.