On Wednesday (23rd September) evening, Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) will begin their journey in the IPL 2020 when they will face the defending champions Mumbai Indians (MI) at Sheikh Zayed Cricket Stadium (Abu Dhabi).
The two-time IPL winners Kolkata Knight Riders finished in the fifth position in the IPL 2019 points table. They only missed out the last year’s playoffs due to lower run-rate.
Meanwhile, Mumbai Indians will play their second game of this tournament. The four-time IPL winners and defending champions again started the new IPL season in a disappointing way as they lost the opening game of this tournament by five wickets against Chennai Super Kings (CSK) at Abu Dhabi.
Let’s look at some crucial stats preview before the upcoming IPL 2020 match between KKR vs MI
Head-to-head records between KKR vs MI
|Stats||Matches||KKR Won||MI Won||Tied/No Result|
|In last 5 matches||5||1||4||0/0|
|In IPL 2019||2||1||1||0/0|
Records of KKR during their first match of every IPL season
|Team||Matches||Won||Lost||Tied (W/L)||No Result|
- Since 2013, Kolkata Knight Riders have never suffered a defeat in their opening match of every IPL season. Last time, they lost their IPL season opener in the IPL 2012 when Delhi Daredevils beat them by 8 wickets at Kolkata (5th April 2012).
Important stats between KKR vs MI
|Stats||KKR (vs MI)||MI (vs KKR)|
|Highest total||232/2 (20 overs) at Kolkata on 28th April 2019||210/6 (20 overs) at Kolkata on 9th May 2018|
|Lowest completed total||67 (15.2 overs) at Mumbai on 16th May 2008||108 (19.1 overs) at Mumbai on 16th May 2012|
|Largest victory (by runs)||41 runs at Abu Dhabi on 16th April 2014||102 runs at Kolkata on 9th May 2018|
|Largest victory (by wickets)||9 wickets at Kolkata on 19th April 2010||9 wickets at Mumbai on 5th May 2019|
(Top players’ stats)
|Stats||KKR (vs MI)||MI (vs KKR)|
|Highest individual score||81* by Manish Pandey at Mumbai on 9th April 2017||109* by Rohit Sharma at Kolkata on 11th May 2012|
|Best bowling figures||4/15 by Sunil Narine at Mumbai on 16th May 2012||4/16 by Lasith Malinga at Bengaluru 19th May 2017|
|Most runs scored||349 runs by Gautam Gambhir||708 runs by Rohit Sharma|
|Most wickets||21 wickets by Sunil Narine||20 wickets by Lasith Malinga|
Other important stats
Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR)
- Dinesh Karthik (59 stumpings) is two stumpings away to surpass former Sri Lankan wicket-keeper Kumar Sangakkara (60 stumpings) and he will climb up the third position in the most stumpings in T20 career list. Only Pakistan wicket-keeper Kamran Akmal (97 stumpings) and former Indian wicket-keeper MS Dhoni (83 stumpings) are ahead of them in this list.
- Sunil Narine (44 sixes) is six sixes behind from 50 sixes for Kolkata Knight Riders. He will be the sixth KKR batsman to hit 50 sixes.
Mumbai Indians (MI)
- It will be 150th IPL match for Kieron Pollard who played all the matches for Mumbai Indians. He will be the first foreigner and fourth overall cricketer to play 150 IPL matches for a team. Meanwhile, Pollard will be the 14th player to appear in 150 IPL matches.
- Rohit Sharma (4910 runs) is 90 runs away to complete his 5000 IPL runs. After Suresh Raina (5368 runs) and Virat Kohli (5426 runs), Rohit will be the third cricketer to score 5000 runs in IPL history.
- Rohit Sharma (194 sixes) needs to hit six more sixes to complete his 200 IPL sixes. Three batsmen have managed to reach this feat till the date.
- Rohit Sharma (824 runs) is six runs away to become the most IPL run-scorer against KKR. Only Australian cricketer David Warner is ahead of him in this list with 829 IPL runs against KKR.
- Suryakumar Yadav (953 runs) is 47 runs behind to complete his 1000 IPL runs for Mumbai Indians. He will be the seventh cricketer to score 1000 IPL runs for MI.