On Sunday (27th September) night, Rajasthan Royals (RR) claimed a stunning four-wicket victory against Kings XI Punjab (KXIP) in the ninth match of the IPL 2020 at Sharjah Cricket Stadium (Sharjah).
It was the high-scoring match where Rajasthan Royals captain Steven Smith decided to field first after winning the toss. While KXIP scored 223/2 in 20 overs, RR successfully chased down that target in 19.3 overs after losing six wickets.
Brief Scores: KXIP – 223/2 in 20 overs (Mayank Agarwal 106, KL Rahul 69; Ankit Rajpoot 1/39)
RR – 226/6 in 19.3 overs (Sanju Samson 85, Rahul Tewatia 53; Mohammed Shami 3/53)
The Results – RR won by 4 wickets.
IPL 2020, Match 9: Rajasthan Royals vs Kings XI Punjab (RR vs KXIP) – Statistical Highlights
Kings XI Punjab (KXIP)
i) KXIP scored 223/2 (20 overs) in the first innings.
- It is the highest total for KXIP against Rajasthan Royals. Their previous record was 221/3 (20 overs) at Mohali on 28th May 2008.
- It was the fifth-highest total for KXIP against any team.
Rajasthan Royals (RR)
i) Successfully chasing the target of 224 runs, Rajasthan Royals scored 226/6 (19.3 overs).
- It is the highest successful chase in IPL history. The previous record was successfully chasing 215 runs target by Rajasthan Royals against Deccan Chargers at Hyderabad (Deccan) on 24th April 2008.
- It is the highest total for the Rajasthan Royals. Their previous record was 223/5 (20 overs) at Chennai on 3rd April 2010.
ii) Rajasthan Royals hit 18 sixes.
- It is the record number of sixes for Rajasthan Royals in an innings. Their previous record was 17 sixes in their previous match against Chennai Super Kings (CSK) at Sharjah on 22nd September 2020.
iii) Three Rajasthan Royals batsmen scored the 50s in the second innings.
- It was the fourth time when three batsmen scored 50+ runs in the same IPL innings.
RR vs KXIP
i) A total of five batsmen scored 50+ runs in this match.
- It is the first time in IPL history where more than four batsmen scored 50+ runs in a match.
Kings XI Punjab (KXIP)
i) Opener Mayank Agarwal completed his century in 45 balls.
- It was the second-fastest IPL century for an Indian batsman. The record holder in this list is Yusuf Pathan (Rajasthan Royals) with a 37-ball IPL century against Mumbai Indians at Mumbai on 13th March 2010.
- It was the second-fastest century for a KXIP batsman. The record is 38-ball century by David Miller against Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) at Chandigarh on 6th May 2013.
- It was the second century in the IPL 2020. KXIP captain KL Rahul was the first centurion in this IPL season as he scored 132* against Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) at Dubai (DSC) on 24th September 2020.
ii) Mayank Agarwal scored 106 runs.
- It was the second-highest individual score by a KXIP batsman against Rajasthan Royals. The other KXIP centurion against Rajasthan Royals, Shaun Marsh scored 115 at Mohali on 28th May 2008.
KL Rahul and Mayank Agarwal
i) Openers KL Rahul and Mayank Agarwal put 183 runs partnership.
- It is the highest opening partnership for KXIP. Their previous record was 136 runs opening partnership between Adam Gilchrist and Paul Valthaty against Deccan Chargers at Hyderabad (Deccan) on 16th April 2011.
- It was the second-highest partnership for KXIP for any wicket. Their record partnership is 206 runs between Adam Gilchrist and Shaun Marsh against Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) at Dharamsala on 17th May 2011.
- It was the third-highest opening partnership in IPL history. The top two partnerships in this list are 185 runs between David Warner and Jonny Bairstow (Sunrisers Hyderabad) against Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) at Hyderabad (Deccan) on 31st March 2019 and 184* between Gautam Gambhir and Chris Lynn (Kolkata Knight Riders) against Gujarat Lions at Rajkot on 7th April 2017.
- It was the 8th highest partnership for any wicket in IPL history.
i) The no.4 batsman Nicholas Pooran scored 25 not out off just 8 balls with the strike-rate of 312.50.
- It was the second-highest strike-rate for a KXIP batsman (minimum score 25 runs). Their record is 318.75 strike-rate by KL Rahul (51 runs off 16 balls) against Delhi Daredevils at Mohali on 8th April 2018.
Rajasthan Royals (RR)
i) Indian cricketer Sanju Samson scored 85 runs.
- It was the second-highest individual score for a Rajasthan Royals batsman against KXIP. The record is 98 by Ajinkya Rahane at Jaipur on 6th April 2012.
ii) Sanju Samson has hit 105 IPL sixes.
- Sanju Samson became the 19th player to hit 100+ IPL sixes.
i) In the 18th over of the second innings, Rahul Tewatia smashed five sixes to Sheldon Cottrell.
- It was the second time in IPL history when a batsman hit five sixes in an over. Earlier, Chris Gayle (Royal Challengers Bangalore) hit five consecutive sixes in one over off Rahul Sharma (Pune Warriors India) at Bengaluru on 17th April 2012.