After winning the 1st ODI of the series at Pune on Sunday night, India takes an important 1-0 lead in the 3-match ODI series against England. India decided to bowl first after winning the toss. England put 350 runs on the board at the end of 50 overs (350/7).
Chasing down the big total, India comfortably got that target despite early top-order collapse.
Brief Scores: England – 350/7 in 50 overs (Joe Root 78, Jason Roy 73, Hardik Pandya 2/46)
India – 356/7 in 48.1 overs (Virat Kohli 122, Kedar Jadhav 120, Jake Ball 3/67)
Results – India won by 3 wickets
Some of the statistical highlights of the match are given below:
- England batsman Ben Stokes (62) completed his half-century in just 33 deliveries. It is the fastest ODI half-century by an England batsman against India. The previous fastest was 35 balls which was by Andrew Flintoff (at The Oval in 2002) and Owais Shah (at Bangalore in 2008).
- England made 350/7 in 50 overs. It is the highest ODI total for England against India and also on the Indian soil. The previous highest ODI total for England in the both case was 338/8 (against India at Bangalore on 27th February 2011).
- Indian batsman Kedar Jadhav completed his half-century in just 29 balls. It is 2nd fastest ODI half-century by an Indian batsman against England. The fastest ODI half-century by an Indian batsman against England is in just 26 balls by MS Dhoni at Cardiff on 16th September 2011.
- Kedar Jadhav (120) also completed his century in just 65 deliveries which is the 5th fastest ODI century by an Indian batsman.
- India’s new limited over skipper Virat Kohli scored 122 runs in this match. Here are some important stats of his innings:
i) This ODI century was Kohli’s 17th ODI century during chasing which is the joint highest no. of ODI centuries by a batsman during a chase. Former Indian batsman Sachin Tendulkar had also hit 17 ODI centuries during a chase.
ii) Including this match, Kohli has 15 ODI centuries during India’s successful runs chase. It is the highest no. of ODI centuries by a batsman during his team’s successful run-chase. The previous record holder was Sachin Tendulkar with 14 ODI centuries in this category.
iii) Kohli’s 122 is the highest ODI score by an Indian captain against England. The previous best was 117* by Sourav Ganguly at Colombo (RPS) on 22nd September 2002. Kohli’s this ODI century was the 2nd ODI century by an Indian captain against England.
- Indian batsmen Virat Kohli and Kedar Yadav hit centuries in this ODI. It was the 2nd time when more than one Indian batsman hit a century in an ODI innings against England. The first incident was at Colombo (RPS) on 22nd September 2002 where 2 Indian batsmen (Virender Sehwag 126 & Sourav Ganguly 117*) hit centuries against England.
- Virat Kohli and Kedar Jadhav put on an outstanding 200 runs partnership for the 5th wicket. Here are some important stats of this incredible partnership:
i) It is India’s second highest 5th wicket ODI partnership. India’s highest 5th wicket ODI partnership is for 223-runs between Mohammad Azharuddin and Ajay Jadeja (against Sri Lanka at Colombo, RPS on 17th August 1997)
ii) This 200-runs partnership is the fifth highest 5th wicket ODI partnership.
iii) Also, this 200-runs partnership is the third highest 5th wicket ODI partnership during a chase.
- In this ODI, India successfully chased the target of 351. It is India’s joint second highest successful ODI chase. In ODI history, India had also chased 351-target before this and that was against Australia at Nagpur on 30th October 2013 (India – 351/4 in 49.3 overs). India’s highest ODI chase is 360 against Australia at Jaipur on 16th October 2013 (India -362/1 in 43.3 overs).
Also, India’s this run-chase (356/7 in 48.1 overs) is joint 4th highest run-chase in ODI history.
- This is the 3rd time that India has successfully chased down 350+ runs in their ODI history which is the highest no. of 350+ runs chase by an ODI team. Apart from India, South Africa has successfully chase 350+ runs twice and England has successfully chase once 350 runs in overall ODI history.
Get all the news and other interesting details about the upcoming T20 tri-series (Nidahas Trophy) featuring India, Bangladesh, and Sri Lanka. Follow an download IPL 2018 schedule. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter to stay connected with all the news related to the league. Also, check live score and you can subsequently download the Sportzwiki cricket app for Android to stay updated.