The day 1 of the second Test between Sri Lanka and Australia at Galle was exciting. After winning the toss, Sri Lanka decided to bat first. Sri Lanka made 281 runs before bowled out.
In reply, Australia was on 54/2 at the stumps of day 1.
Brief Scores: Sri Lanka – 281 (Kusal Mendis 86, Angelo Mathews 54, Mitchell Starc 5/44)
Australia – 54/2 (David Warner 42, Usman Khawaja 11*, Dilruwan Perera 1/14)
Here are some statistical highlights are given below of the day 1 of 2nd Test:
- Sri Lankan batsmen Kusal Perera and Kusal Mendis put on an important 108-run partnership for the 3rd wicket in their innings. It was the third-highest 3rd wicket partnership for Sri Lanka against Australia in Test history. The other two 3rd wicket partnership for Sri Lanka against Australia in Tests more than this 108-runs partnership are 125 runs between Sanath Jayasuriya and Sanjeeva Ranatunga at Adelaide in 1996; 124 runs between Marvan Atapattu and Mahela Jayawardene at Cairns in 2004.
- During the 1st innings of this Test match, Australian wicketkeeper Peter Nevill completed 50 dismissals (49 catches and 1 stumpings) in his Test career. Nevill took 25 Test innings to achieve this feat which makes him the third quickest by an Australian wicket-keeper. Only former Australian wicket-keepers Adam Gilchrist and Wally Grout had achieved this feat earlier than Nevill as they took 21 and 24 Test innings respectively to complete 50 Test dismissals.
- After dismissing Sri Lankan batsmen Kusal Mendis, Australian pacer Mitchell Starc completed his 100th Test wicket. He became 4th Australian left-arm pacer to earn 100 Test wickets.
- Australian left-arm pacer Mitchell Starc bowled impressive on the day as he finished the 1st innings with the bowling figure 16.1-7-44-5. It was the 2nd best Test innings figure by a pacer in Galle. The best Test innings figure by a pacer in Galle is 5/42 by Sri Lankan pacer Dilhara Fernando against India in 2001.
- On day 1, Australian pacers took total 7 wickets in the 1st innings of this Test match. It was the 7th time that Australian pacers took 7 or more Sri Lankan wickets in a Test innings in Sri Lanka. Also, it was the 2nd time that Australian pacers clinched 7 or more Sri Lankan wickets in the 1st innings of a Test match in Sri Lanka.
- On day 1, Sri Lanka were bundled out for 281 runs in the 1st innings of this Test match. Batting in the first innings of a Test match at Galle, it was Sri Lanka’s 3rd lowest total.
Get all the news and other interesting details about the upcoming T20 tri-series (Nidahas Trophy) featuring India, Bangladesh, and Sri Lanka. Follow an download IPL 2018 schedule. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter to stay connected with all the news related to the league. Also, check live score and you can subsequently download the Sportzwiki cricket app for Android to stay updated.