On Sunday (22nd December) night, the hosts India beat Windies in the third and final ODI of the series at Cuttack and won the series by the 2-1 margin.
Indian captain Virat Kohli won the toss and decided to field first. While Windies scored 315/5 (50 overs) in the first batting, the hosts chased down that target successfully in 48.4 overs after losing six wickets.
Brief Scores: Windies – 315/5 in 50 overs (Nicholas Pooran 89, Kieron Pollard 74*; Navdeep Saini 2/58)
India – 316/6 in 48.4 overs (Virat Kohli 85, KL Rahul 77; Keemo Paul 3/59)
Result – India won by four wickets
Here are some of the statistical highlights of the match:
i) The away team Windies scored 886 runs.
- It is the most aggregated runs for Windies in a three-match ODI series. Their previous record was scoring 826 runs in the three-match home ODI series against Zimbabwe in February 2013.
i) The home side India successfully chased down the 316 runs target in 48.4 overs.
- It was the third-highest succesful ODI chase for India against Windies. Their top two records in this list are chasing down the target of 325 runs (at Ahmedabad on 15th November 2002) and 323 runs (at Guwahati 21st October 2018).
ii) India won this three-match ODI series by 2-1.
- It was the 10th consecutive bilateral ODI series victory for India against Windies. Since 2016, India have won all their ODI series against the Caribbean side.
i) While it was his 67th ODI innings, Shai Hope (3,007 runs) completed his 3,000 ODI runs.
- Shai Hope is the second-fastest batsman to complete 3,000 ODI runs. The record-holder is Hashim Amla (South Africa) who reached this milestone in 57 ODI innings.
ii) In 2019, wicketkeeper-batsman Shai Hope scored 1,339 ODI runs.
- It is the most ODI runs by a wicketkeeper-batsman in a calendar year. Former Sri Lankan wicketkeeper-batsman Kumar Sangakkara was the previous record-holder who scored 1,331 ODI runs in 2006.
Nicholas Pooran and Kieron Pollard
- It is the record fifth-wicket ODI partnership for Windies against India. Their previous record was 109 runs partnership between Ricardo Powell and Marlon Samuels (at Vijayawada on 24th November 2002).
i) In 2019, the opening batsman Rohit Sharma scored 2,442 international runs.
- It is the most international runs by an opening batsman in a calendar year. Sanath Jayasuriya (Sri Lanka) was the previous record-holder who scored 2,387 international runs as an opening batsman in 1997.
i) Playing his 266th List A innings, Virat Kohli (13,051 runs) completed his 13,000 List A runs.
- Virat Kohli is the fastest batsman to complete 13,000 List A runs. The previous record-holder was Michael Bevan who reached this milestone in 326 List A innings.
- Virat Kohli is the fifth Indian batsman to score 13,000+ List A runs.
ii) As a captain, Virat Kohli (5,046 runs) completed 5,000 international runs at home.
- Virat Kohli is the first Indian captain to score 5,000 international runs at home.
- Virat Kohli is the fourth captain to score 5.000+ international runs at home venues.
iii) By the end of this match, Virat Kohli has scored 1,239 ODI runs against Windies at home.
- It is the most ODI runs for a batsman against Windies at home. Mark Waugh (Australia) was the previous record-holder as he scored 1,177 ODI runs at home against Windies.