Yuvraj Singh is one of the best ODI cricketer India national cricket team has produced in recent times. At his best, there is no player on the planet that you would rather than this stylish left-hander from Punjab. That silky flick through the on-side, that slap through mid-wicket that he plays with disdain, Yuvraj’s high bat-lift makes his game even more pleasant to watch.
Let’s take a look at 12 unknown facts about the Punjab dasher.
1. Yuvraj’s father Yograj Singh is a former Indian fast bowler and Punjabi movie actor.
2. Yuvraj is the only Indian cricketer after Sachin Tendulkar to have been signed by English county Yorkshire, an honor few overseas players are bestowed upon.
3. Yuvraj Singh was signed by Microsoft as a brand ambassador when the Xbox 360 video game console was launched in the Indian market way back in 2006.
4. He was an avid roller-skater as a child and has also won the National Under-14 Roller Skating Championship.
5. Why does Yuvraj wear the No. 12 shirt? He wears the jersey with number 12, since his birth date is on 12th of December which is also the 12th month of the year. Yuvi considers 12 to be his lucky number. Moreover, he also wears a black thread on his wrist when he comes in to play.
6. Yuvraj is a huge Sachin fan since childhood. Yuvraj cherishes those moments he spent on the crease with the master blaster, and rates that test in Chennai in 2008 when he had a crucial partnership with Sachin to win India the match as one of his greatest cricketing moments.
7. Yuvraj used to study at Chandigarh’s DAV School. The Southpaw had the maximum attendance on the cricket pitch though, and it is said that Yuvraj broke a sign of the school’s name which used to be on the school’s wall with a barrage of huge sixes. Quite the naughty lad, eh?
8. When he was 7 years old, he kept insisting his mother buy him a bicycle. When she finally agreed, Yuvraj jammed the bicycle onto a rickshaw on the very first ride and ended up with 10 STITCHES.
9. When one of Yuvraj’s friends brought an air gun when they were young, and nobody could figure out how it worked, Yuvi took the matter into his own hands and accidentally shot his friend in the stomach! Thankfully no damage was done!
10. We all have heard about Yuvi’s battle with cancer, but did you know that Yuvraj was diagnosed with a rare germ cell cancer between his lungs, for which he underwent three cycles of chemotherapy in the United States.
11. Yuvraj Singh has also done a Bollywood animated movie ‘Jumbo’. Yuvraj did a voice-over in the movie produced by Akshay Kumar.
12. Yuvraj has started a great initiative with ‘YouWeCan’, with which he plans to help cancer patients in their treatment. Excellent work Yuvi!