31 Mind Blowing Facts in Cricket History
1. Sri Lanka have beaten Australia only once in the Test Cricket. That single win came in 1999 Australia’s tour to Sri Lanka, where Sri Lanka won the first Test by Six wickets and managed to draw the next two tests to win the Series too.
2. Sri Lankan All-Rounder Sanath Jayasuriya has more wickets in ODI than Australia’s Legendary Spinner Shane Warne, with Shane Warne picking 293 Wickets whereas Jayasuriya had 323 wickets in his tally.
3. Bangladesh’s Shere-Bangla-National Stadium and Bagabandhu Stadium have hosted more ODIs that the Home of Cricket Lord’s. Bagabandhu Stadium had hosted 58 ODIs and Shere-Bangla-National Stadium hosting 77 ODIs but Lord’s hosted just 55 ODI matches.
4. The highest runs in a over is 77. It came in a New Zealand First Class match was the bowling team allowed the batting team to score so that they can take wickets. The over was bowled by RH Vance and over went like this – 0 4 4 4 6 6 4 6 1 4 1 0 6 6 6 6 6 0 0 4 0 1.
5. Adam Gilchrist holds the record for playing more test matches from Debut without been dropped. He played 96 matches between 5th November 1999 and 24th January 2008.
6. Ishant Sharma played a key role in all the three highest scores made by a batsman against India in 21st century. Alistair Cook -294 runs in 2011, Michael Clarke – 329 runs in 2012 and Brendon McCullum – 302 runs in 2014 got help from Ishant as there were all dropped by him when they were in early part of the innings.
7. On 12th January 1964, Indian Spinner Bapu Nadkarni vs England at Chennai bowled 21 straight maidens in an innings and ended with a figures of 32-27-5-0 whose economy rate was 0.15, the least with the bowlers bowling more than 10 overs.
8. New Zealand Chris Martin and India’s BS Chandrasekhar have taken more test wickets than the runs they scored. Martin scored 123 runs and picked 233 wickets and Chandrasekhar picked up 247 wickets and scored 167 runs.
9. England’s Wilfred Rhodes picked up 4204 wickets in his first class career and also scored 39969 runs.
10. England’s Sir Jack Hobbs holds the record of most FC centuries. He has a amazing number of 199 centuries on his name.
11. In 1975 World Cup England set 335 as target in 60 overs. Sunil Gavaskar who opened for India stood till the end of innings unbeaten with 36 runs off 174 balls. India managed 132 runs only losing 3 wickets in 60 overs.
14. Since Kohli’s Debut India chased down 300+ five times, with Kohli contributing every time that too scoring 4 centuries out of 5 occasions.
15. Mahela Jayawardene is the only player to score century in Semi-Final and Final in World Cups. He scored a century in Semis vs New Zealand in 2007 and scored a century in Finals vs India in 2011.
18. Ganguly holds record for most consecutive man of the match awards in ODI. He won 4 consecutive man of the match awards.
21. In the year 1989, When Sachin Tendulkar made his debut, 23 other players too made their respective debuts. All of them retired from Cricket, with the last player been Chris Cairns who retired in 2004.
22. Inzaman Ul Haq has a unique record of picking wicket on first ball he bowled in ODIs.
23. In his entire career Sir Donald Bradman has hit only 6 Sixers.
26. The England Cricket Team is the one and only team in ODI history to lose a 60 over ODI Final (1979 World Cup), a 50 over ODI Final (1992 World Cup and 2004 Champions Trophy) and a 20 over ODI Final (2013 ICC Champions Trophy) in ICC tournaments.
29. Graeme Smith is the only player in the Cricket’s history to be captaining a team for more than 100 Test matches.
31. Saeed Ajmal has never won a Man of the Match award in One Day International Cricket.
31 Mind Blowing Facts in Cricket History
Kumar Dharmasena Admits his ‘Overthrow’ Mistake During ICC World Cup 2019 Final
ICC elite umpire Kumar Dharmasena has accepted his folly after awarded England six runs from an overthrow in the last…
India vs Windies 2019: MSK Prasad Sheds Light on Hardik Pandya, Prithvi Shaw’s Absence
The selectors for Team India had announced the much-awaited squad for touring party India against the Windies. On Sunday (July…